Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:29:36 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic Fridge: Bah Humbug! <grin>
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

<shrugs> :)

Yah maybe fins get hot enough even if fridge off.

To all:

Despite the subject wording I chose, I wasn't directly ragging on the Dometic fridge. Was just venting.

I still think it is a really useful appliance. Especially given how long it can run on a tank of LP.

Assuming all is in good operating condition. ;)

Neil.

On 8/11/10, mcneely4@cox.net <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > Neil, the refrigerator has not been on for two weeks, since we returned from > our trip out West. Hence my question. Seems that the van is quite hot > inside, and the refrigerator fan has kicked on. But I did not know it would > do that (and do not remember it doing it before) unless the refrigerator was > operating. > > DMc > > ---- neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> Hi David. >> >> Saw your response to Alistair. My manual is for an '81. Seems they >> made some changes over the years. >> >> I've taken mine apart several times. Cleaned etc. Both on a 182A and >> 182B. Dirt, whether it be blockages or in the form of corrosion, etc >> do affect operation for sure. >> >> btw, not that you asked me directly but.... ;) >> >> the stock rear fan is controlled by a thermal switch at a cooling fin. >> If it gets too hot inside the van, fridge works harder creating more >> heat. Cooling fin too hot, switch closes, fan on. It is not switched >> otherwise. I measured current used on two spare fan motors: ~ 0.27 >> amps each. Not much to worry about IMO. The fan should turn off once >> fridge is off for a while. Not sure if high ambient temps would heat >> up fin enough to trigger it though.... >> >> pic (thermal switch is little blue thing) http://tinyurl.com/2engpvb >> >> Likely this is the same or very similar on later model Dometics >> >> Neil. >> >> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM, <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: >> > Neil, please see my response to Alistair re propane operation while >> > driving. >> > >> > And, in further answer to Alistair (sorry, Alistair, dropped this one), >> > the only thing I do to maintain the refrigerator is to keep it clean, >> > including pulling it and cleaning the back and underneath it (I've done >> > that one time in a year). Also check for leaks in the propane system, >> > but that doesn't relate to the 12V operation. I have been told that a >> > major reason the refrigerator doesn't cool adequately for some is that >> > it is dirty, including the fan being dirty. Also, flue dirty. >> > >> > Now, when it is 100 F +, the 12V system will only keep the refrigerator >> > cool, not cold, that is true. But, it does keep cool. >> > >> > DMc >> > >> > ---- neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM, <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: >> >> > ---- neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> > >> >> >> It still won't stay lit while driving! >> >> > >> >> > The refrigerator is NOT SUPPOSED to stay lit while driving. >> >> > Instructions on the propane system specify that the vehicle is not >> >> > supposed to be driven with the propane valve open. The reason the >> >> > refrigerator has a 12 V mode is for driving. If the refrigerator is >> >> > reasonably well maintained, the 12 V mode works, too. Mine does. >> >> > >> >> > I know that some people claim to keep the refrigerator on propane >> >> > mode while driving. Guess what -- the instruction to turn the >> >> > propane off while driving, in the camper owner's manual, and on the >> >> > label on the propane port, is per DOT. Why not use the refrigerator >> >> > as it is supposed to be used? >> >> >> >> >> I've read numerous comments in the archives regarding driving with it >> >> lit or not. Not sure which instructions you refer to, but I just read >> >> my Dometic glove box manual and door on 182B. No where did I see >> >> anything saying do not drive with fridge running on LP. I may have >> >> missed it. However. They do make mention, in upper case, of 'never >> >> putting hot food in the fridge'. <grin> >> >> >> >> On the last trip, I drove with it on 12V. My 12V system works fine too. >> >> >> >> What I'd like, is to have it stay lit even if it gets windy in camp. >> >> On last few trips before doing this recent work, it would blow out on >> >> the highway, and in camp. Even if it was only mildly windy. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> -- >> Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" >> >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > > -- > David McNeely >