Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Aug 2010 13:54:20 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch specs???
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

with only 1mm of clutch disc material above the rivits.. that's like a tire with 5/32nd's of tread left.. it'll 'work' but it will need replacing before too long.

since the labor is signficant to replace the disc or any clutch coponents down the line sometime.. it only makes sense to replace the parts that have limited life left in them now.

and i'm not a 'ALL NEW parts' nut .. rather the oppsite, I do like to get remaining life out of good servicable components .. but not if it means pulling the trans in 6 months when you could have put in a new disc now with relatively minor extra expense, and no extra work later.

I like Sachs brand clutch components, the only ones I use on vanagons.

if mixing compents from 2.1 waterboxer to 1.9 ... the crankshaft pulley should match whichever distributor you are using. the timing marks are different on the two engnies. I use mixed components between 1.9 and 2.1 commonly, and like to run a 2.1 engine, 2.1 exhaust system and 2.1 ntake with 1.9 Digijet fuel injection - works great ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Potts" <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 10:20 AM Subject: Clutch specs???