Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Aug 2010 14:28:29 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel - too much oil saga
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

there is always oil in the intake tract of a turbo diesel VW engine .

not because it's comrpession igntion, but because the intake manifold is presurized by the turbo .. so crankcase blowby can not be introduced right into the intake manifold like it can on an NA diesel engine or a gasoline engine with throttle plate .. In othe words, on a TD engine it doesn't suck there, it blows,( in the intake manifold ) so crankcase fumes have to be introduced upstream of the turbo air inlet.. ( between air filter and turbo, so oil fumes dont' go through the air filter element and get it all oily ) ..

so there's always going to be some oil in the intake tract of a turbo engine. And very true................ it should be designed so there are no low spots for oil to collect. and factory turbo installations with an intercooler often have a drain plug on the bottom of the intercooler ...to drain oil out of it if any collects there.

naturally, the more worn the engine, the more blowby fumes there are. It has to be pretty bad before runnaway happens. and I would expect runnaway to happen more from oil getting past the rings into the combustion chamber than from crankcase oil in the intake tract .. but once it happens, it doesn't matter too much how it happened.. it's a seriously bad thing to have happen.

and one very crude 'patch' on an engine with excessive blow by is to just dump crnakcase fumes overboard , rather than try to run it through the engine and burn it.

I had a 1.9 TD that would 'stay on the power' by itself in right hand turns if the oil level was a bit high ... I think oil was sloshing up onto the cylinder walls ( engine is tilted to left, so right hand turns tend to push oil in the pan to the left ) and it was more than the rings could control mementarily.

only did it a few times, but the first time it happened.. and it was always at fairly high boost and speed, in sweeping right hand turns, like at 60 mph .. first time it happened it was a bit 'exciting' in a not fun way.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 6:21 AM Subject: Re: Diesel - too much oil saga