Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:34:51 -0400
From:         Ed Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: alignment with worn tires

Well, I've heard a few different viewpoints on the subject. The bodyshop alignment guy says that my uneven tire wear won't affect the alignment, which is what several here and on the Samba have said. But others have pointed this out- Although the alignment apparatus is attached to the wheel, the wheel position is affected by the position of the tire. Take it to the extreme- what if there were no tire at all, or if one tire were flat? The wheel certainly would be in a different position. So doesn't it stand to reason that a tire that is worn would also put the wheel in a different position?

The alignment guy said that the front was already in perfect alignment, and that the pull I was feeling to the right was caused by the uneven tire wear (I thought it was on the driver's side inside, but it was actually on the outside edge.) He didn't say there was anything wrong with any front end components.

He also said that the right rear camber was at the end of it's adjustment, and that old springs might be the cause.

He swapped the tires front to back and took it for a test drive. He said it drives fine, but upon leaving, I think it pulls ever so slightly to the right, but I have so much to do today, I wasn't going to go back. I'm taking a 1,000 mile round trip, and I thought that I'd see how it drove, and how the tires wore in that time.

Ed