Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2010 16:33:57 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      2 matters, oil pressure, and axle

Vindication -- for whom?

Thanks to all who responded regarding oil pressure drop with sustained highway speed driving at high ambient temperature.

Several suggested that keeping the oil level on the stick below the max mark was a reasonable thing to do. Others suggested an auxiliary oil cooler. Some opined that synthetic oil could possibly help in this matter. Remember that the oil pressure on my 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile is adequate, but marginal (runs around 20 psi on my VDO gauge, and drops to around 5 psi at idle) under sustained driving at highway speeds when air temperatures approach and exceed 100 F. When ambient temperatures are lower, the oil pressure runs 30 - 40 psi during sustained highway driving. The temperature gauge registers normal (needle on the led) regardless.

I first thought I would change the oil, using a synthetic 20W50, and fill to halfway between the min and max marks on the stick, then drive the van to test for a difference in oil pressure. But then, partly because I already had 20W50 conventional Pennzoil, I decided to test only one variable at a time, as we learned in elementary science courses for the simpler experiments.

So, I changed the oil this morning while it was still relatively cool outside (90 F), filling only to halfway between the two marks on the oil stick. This afternoon I took a drive on I-35, heading north. Air temperature had settled at 102 and 103 on my two porch thermometers (north side and south side of the house). I drove a total distance of 65 miles at speeds ranging from 60 to 65 mph, rpm running 3000 to 3500. According to my VDO gauge, the oil pressure settled to around 26 -30 psi at sustained speed. When I pulled off the highway and idled, psi dropped to around 5 psi, and briefly below. The oil pressure warning light blinked and flickered briefly when speed first dropped to idle, then stopped, without my slightly raising the rpm.

What does this prove? Nothing, but if it is still hot next time I run over to the Ozarks, maybe I'll know a little more.

Second matter:

When I was under the van changing the oil, I naturally, as always, looked everything over for leaks and such. Well, I found a leak, at the joint where the passenger side axle connects to the transmission. What are that joint and its boot called? Anyway, the joint and boot are greasy and dirty, and a drop of oil adheres to a metal flange there. The same joint on the driver's side appears dry and reasonably clean. So, what is my next step?

Thanks to all. DMc -- David McNeely