Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:30:21 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2 matters, oil pressure, and axle
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

Dave,

Several things could be going on here. The boot as you call it is the boot, and the joint is the CV joint. If the boot rubber is torn, and nowadays with the crappy aftermarket boot quality, it frequently is, you will lose grease. You can probably identify the grease by its very dark color. If you have a torn boot you need to remove the axle and repack the CVs while you're in there.

When you pull the CV joint at look at the axle flange sticking out of the transmission, you'll see at the center a small disc about an inch and a half in diameter pressed into the center of the flange. That's a seal the keeps transmission fluid from pouring into the boot and CV under driving and cornering forces. It's cheap and really easy to replace. Pry it out with a pick or small screwdriver and tap a new one in. If it's bad you'll see transaxle fluid slung all over the place. If it is this problem, be sure to check the fluid level.

The third possibility is that the seal(s) to your axle shafts are leaking. If this happens you will see drips down the transmission and probably on the floor. This is not a difficult nor expensive job to do. I have written it up in detail in the archives and probably have it as a word doc somewhere. The hard part, which is easy if you know the tricks, is pulling the old oil seal out of it seat. I drill it and use a slide puller to screw into the holes and yank it out.

Let me know if you need more detail.

Jim > > Second matter: > > When I was under the van changing the oil, I naturally, as always, looked everything over for leaks and such.  Well, I found a leak, at the joint where the passenger side axle connects to the transmission.  What are that joint and its boot called?  Anyway, the joint and boot are greasy and dirty, and a drop of oil adheres to a metal flange there.  The same joint on the driver's side appears dry and reasonably clean.  So, what is my next step? > > Thanks to all.  DMc > -- > David McNeely >