Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:56:03 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: An ECU Thing I Learned Today
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@gmail.com>

At 09:25 PM 8/12/2010 Thursday, Robert Fisher wrote: >Seriously?

Yes, seriously. There are other things that can happen to an ECU, but in my somewhat-qualified opinion most of the ECUs out there have a large number of fatigued solder joints any one of which could become an intermittent or worse at any time. I base this on microscopic examination of at least five 022 and one 022D from various years, plus actual fatigue failures in my '84 1.9l. Not to mention one in my current '89 which would stop the ignition for half a second any time the rear end went over a sharp bump. Not necessarily a big one -- a higher than usual tar strip across the highway could do it.

> My 87 auto

Lucky you -- no conformal coating to torture you.

> has been bogging down lately when fully warmed up, going from a > full stop or accelerating out of a turn or what-have-you. The > tranny isn't slipping, the O2 and temp sensors are new. It seems to > "get its breath" around the top of second gear and runs normally at > highway speeds.

If any possibility, swap in another one and see. But in my opinion you won't go wrong by reflowing some of the joints in there regardless. The one I did a while ago for Max Wellhouse, I believe I resoldered 125 joints. To my surprise the ribbon cables connecting the two boards in the Bosch 022 are a major trouble spot -- much less so in the Triumph-Adler, which also seems to have better solder in general. All the Bosch solder looks awful whether it has a problem or not.

>Have you taken any pics or video of the repair process?

I've taken a few pics of what a cracked joint looks like under magnification. Look here: http://picasaweb.google.com/dbeierl/SolderFatigue# Use full screen or you won't see them.

Beyond that, you examine under 40x or so and mark the baddies, or you do the suspicious ones on principle, or you start at one end of the board and work your way to the other.

Suspicious ones are any component attached to the heat sink, any component that's raised from the board, any component that's heavy whether or not it's pasted down with RTV, any component that's subject to flexing, any transformer, any axial-lead capacitor, any component subject to thermal cycling, any chip with lots of leads.

To reflow, you need a sponge, an appropriate iron -- 25 watts or so with a skinny tip to get down between components and solder pads, and a stand for it. A temperature-controlled iron would be wonderful. For a few components that are attached to a ground plane, a small soldering gun might not be amiss because the ground plane will suck up tremendous heat and keep your joint from flowing nicely. .025 or so diameter 60/40 or ideally 63/37 tin-lead solder. Liquid rosin flux, but since you probably can't get that, RS sells some flux-in-grease paste that's ok. A solder-sucker may come in handy. A scriber of some sort in case you bridge two pads and can't remove the solder -- you can scribe between the pads -- maybe. Desoldering braid can be your friend here, and it definitely likes extra flux. You need to know at least a little about electronic soldering.

The tip needs to be shiny-bright. Wipe it on the barely-damp sponge before each use and don't wipe it after. Put a little solder on the tip and touch the liquid solder to the joint to melt it. Apply a bit more solder, make sure it's finished melting, on to the next joint. Do not ever scrub a joint for any reason. The copper foil isn't stuck all that firmly on the board, and when it's hot it's hardly stuck at all. A bit of extra flux on the joint often helps, and if there's already a lot of solder on the joint you may need to remove some or all before replacing it. A joint where the solder is bulging out over the edges of the pad has too much. The finished joint also wants to be shiny-bright -- you'll easily distinguish the joints that have already had hand work done on them, they'll look much better than the wave-soldered ones. Crystallization of the solder surface (Thank You Bosch) is not in itself a problem. Bad joints may show up where the lead rises out of the solder, or there may be cracks in the solder away from the lead, including ones that completely encircle the lead about halfway down the solder drop. There's one of those in the pictures.

When I was young and had little tiny eyes I might have done all this with naked eye. Now I use a loupe or a magnified light or often the microscope on 7.5x

>Any further damage from continuing to run it?

Not likely. Except for maybe having to walk home. If you solder the wrong two pads together though, and don't notice and fix it, you could wreck the thing, either until the pads regain their independence or permanently.

Yours, David