Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:47:27 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic Fridge Lit? 1991 Vanagon Westfalia
Comments: To: T-rev Reynolds <gneiss9@GMAIL.COM>

I don't have a picture. however, the 'sight hole" is in the lower left, back corner of the inside of the refrigerator. If it is pitch black in the van, you might be able to see the flame there. The LED that indicates that the refrigerator is on in propane mode is on a panel on the cabinet front under the stove. There is a switch there, and seven LEDs to indicate that various things are happening: three to show vehicle battery charge level, three to show the water level in the fresh water tank, and one under the water tank lamps to show whether the refrigerator is on in propane mode. Do you have an owner's manual for the camper (_Camper/Multivan supplement to Volkswagen Vanagon Owner's Manual_)? For my 1991 camper, the control panel with the indicator LEDs is illustrated and described on page 12. DMc

---- T-rev Reynolds <gneiss9@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > More fridge talk: > > I Just returned from a fantastic two week, 2200 mile trip in "SEN" > and only had one problem; Fridge failed in Propane mode after four > days of flawless performance. The fire in the combustion chamber was > doing it's thing until one day the igniter started snapping and the > orange LED was flashing. No wind present, but hot sun on the fridge > side all afternoon. > > Since I've purchased my van (one year ago) I have not had the > fridge out for it's recommended maintenance and my curiosity is > killing me as to what I'll find back there once I do. From other > indications, (maintenance procedures) over the last twelve months > I've come the conclusion that the PO has not done a lot of > preventative maintenance on my Van... I will be taking my fridge out > very soon though to do the cleaning procedure that Frank Condelli > posted on his website. > > While my fridge was running on gas I couldn't see where the flame was > supposed to be sighted. On my fridge door instructions it says to > look for this flame inside the "pilot sight hole" and (if installed), > the diode "inside the furniture panel". Does anyone have a picture > of this "sight hole" or "diode" from their fridge or perhaps a link > to a web site with a picture? Even a description as to where the > sight hole is would be appreciated. The only hole I see are the two > up near the stove dials and the one small hole at bottom, left corner > of the fridge compartment. > > > Trevor Reynolds > Airdrie, AB, Canada, > '91 GL 2Wheel drive, AT, Westy "SEN". > > http://westfalia-91restore.blogspot.com/ > > http://s1003.photobucket.com/home/onsight2003/index

-- David McNeely