Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:06:25 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic Fridge Lit? 1991 Vanagon Westfalia
Comments: To: Richard Jones <jones@colorado.edu>

Heh.

I'm almost there Richard. I love the idea of extended use on LP. But when I extend my travel range, I really want something that will keep things cold. I'll double check the W.C. on the regulator again to be sure but I know the story about high ambient temps etc.

I see a Norcold for sale, somewhere <grin>. Used only a short time. Only $400. But noisier than the VF I understand.

All I have to do is make myself some solar panels!

@ the OP. I noticed on my *old* Dometic that the viewing glass on combustion chamber was somewhat dirty.

Although you're likely just not getting the right angle view wise, since you comment on the PO's maintenance habits, *maybe* the end of the plastic bit and viewing glass are dirty. Or....

Your flame happened to be in "pilot" mode. It's a much smaller flame.... check out my youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPm7D-HbxQ Flame difference shown in second portion.

Neil.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Richard Jones <jones@colorado.edu> wrote: >> A cardboard tube or similar is really useful to see flame. Especially mid >> d= >> ay. > > Oh, I thought everyone on the list since before, say, 2002, knew > to have a paper towel or toilet paper tube to use.... > > And everyone after, say, 2008, knew to replace the Dometic with > a Vitrifrigo and give up all this moaning and groaning...and just > have a hard frozen ice cream sandwich from their freezer! > > Richard > > PS: Actually, a propane fridge is great, if it works. But just > think carefully how surface area is by the square and volume > is with the cube and you can see how the bigger the fridge, > the better.  So the Big Rigs that have double door propane > fridges work fine, but the tiny Westy Dometic struggles in > hot weather.  Of course, in Germany they don't have hot weather-- > not like Moab.  Maybe they don't care how cold the beer is. > I'll check next week in Regensburg.... >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines