Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Aug 2010 20:55:56 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Tranny TLC
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

the normal service things are .. check differential oil for sure. the pan gasket is usually hard and seeping a little.

at the very minimum, suck some old ATF out of the dipstick and refill with .. the very best stuff I've found so far is Royal Purple synthetic ATF.

the full job of course is to drop the pan, clean out the screen in there .. but pan back on with new rubber gasket with all new ATF ..or as much as will come out.

all of it never comes out ...some stays in the torque converter. but for sure .. at least get some fresh ATF in it, and make sure diff oil is full.

oh ...very important, lube the ball pivot at the top of the shift lever on the side of the trans . way up at the top, hard to see.. it's the aft end of the throttle cable .. you don't want that ball pivot rusting and getting stuck. that spot is never serviced by anyone as far as I know, and it's important.

I use Prolong Transmission additive too sometimes. Never a problem, and good luck with that additive always.

then there's CV joints .. and it goes on and on getting an old dead van back to full heath.

lube the shift lever area too. lube everything that moves. for me that means things like ash tray pivot points, seat belt latches, ignition switches, vent window latches etc. you know,....."If it's rusty, treat it and paint it, if it moves, lube it. " Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 7:51 PM Subject: Auto Tranny TLC