Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Aug 2010 20:19:17 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Garcia's Ghost doesn't like gettin' high.
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>

hi, I would think the wood smoke thing has to do with the type of wood, not altitude.

less octane is required at altitude.. you should., in my opinion, run unleaded regular ( or perhaps mid-grade and never premium ) .. whatever the locals have for unleaded regular .. as long as you think it's decent fuel , you're fine in that department.

'lost power' ... got a tachometer ? care to say which engine ..I know you don't have a diesel, and I don't think you have an air-cooled vanagon ..so that leaves 1.9 and 2.1 wbxr .. never hurts to day what year vangon people are talking about and which engine.

when it looses power, tach keeps reading normally, right ? you always check that first thing during any cutting out ...if tach stays reading, likely ignition is still working.

one recent 2.1 I worked on ..guy said 'bucking' ..but I think 'cutting out' is a better description .. I never saw the van act up like that, and he's been fighting it a year in several shops . I noticed immediately it was idling fast and erratically, and smelling rich.

flat amazing the difference it made to disconnect that cruise control cable that wouldn't allow throttle to get below about 5 % on .....and thus idle information not getting to ecu. and then .. exhaust leak upstream of the oxygen sensor ..fixed those two things ..van ran like a dream and the guy said he was going to drive it all around the next day trying to make it cut out and he'd call if it did. I didn't hear from him..so possibly it's running like it should.

here is my point ..I see dozens of waterboxers all the time. Almost 'most' of them are not really running in proper tune. And I don't mean the standard tune up parts ..dist cap and rotor, plug wires and plugs etc ..those almost don't wear if good Bosch parts..and naturally, air and fuel filters need to be half decent.. what I am finding .. and this is my main point ...I see them *all the time* with too advanced timing, throttle switch not making contact, and dead oxygen sensors .....and the occasional 15 year old looking 80 % clogged fuel filter , and air intake leaks, and exhaust leaks .. my point is .. I even wonder if many waterboxers are really running like they should. When they are right ... the start instantly, and go to steady idle. The idle at a steady rpm and will idle like that for hours on end , and they drop to that idle every time ..nice and steady 900 rpm or so idle.

the go well with good smooth power. 'unevenness' in power delivery I attribute to air flow meters usually. I have yet to find a shorted 02 sensor or wire ..though I have seen a few of the wires for the 02 replaced in the ecu harness before . I've seen some dodgey distributors now and then. I've never seen a bad coil really. the 1.9 wbxr can have igntion problems easier than 2.1's . Just found a bad harness that was a bit maddening for a while. plug wires ..usually they're fine ...but eventually, or for mysterious problems ...if they are old or cheap, they are due. I only use bosch distributor caps and rotors. many people and professional shops don't even know the felt pad under the rotor in a 1.9 wbxr distributor is to lubricate the centrifugal advance. I see the timing too advanced all the time ..stated a 2nd time for emphasis.

and workmanship and attention to detail ....mostly I made waterboxers run really right just adjusting and fine tuning carefully. it helps to have known-good parts to run on the engine ... just had one ...1.9 ...intermittantly no ignition ...good used distributor fixed that . btw ..throttle bodies .. mostly they 'work' but they are all 20+ years old and they wear. so at least check or think carefully about that part. There is also an electro-pneumatic throttle switch that works off vaccum, not physcial position of the throttle plate ....sounds really good to me !

my main point is ...almost all the waterboxers I see that don't run right, just need careful attention to details. one after another ..it's not a bad ecu ...or bad fuel or tired spark plugs ..it's cleaning, adjusting, checking, lubricating, etc.

and the fact that a shop worked on it .. the last thing you should think is 'all that stuff is right, I just had it worked on' .... based on what I see on vanagons all the time. - People overlook the most basic things on them.

and sure, sometimes they do take a good while to sort through ...but very, very often, it's just some basic thing that someone didn't do right or notice that it needs attention.

I have seen literally hundreds of cases where an expensive part was just replaced....sometimes for hundreds of dollars ..they bring it to me, I find the most basic and obvious things that were overlooked that should have been done in the first place, and many times it did not need that expensive part at all. I've seen that hundreds of times actually.

lots of shops just guess, or are in a hurry, or don't really know what they are doing , evidently.

anyway ...start with the basics, and build your way up through each system and part until it's all exactly like it's supposed to be. Then they run great .. and ....they can be temperamental ...for sure and sometimes they need several sessions of 'vanagon whisperer' work before they are finally really right ...but they can all be gotten there , and it's not about the 'parts' .....it's about the workmanship and attention to detail.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Fisher" <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:31 PM Subject: Garcia's Ghost doesn't like gettin' high.