Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:08:05 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: registering Matilda in Canada
Comments: To: greg@pottsfamily.ca

You don't have to pay any duty to bring a Vanagon in to Canada. I paid PST and GST on my purchase from abroad but Matilda is a 'settler's effect' so she should be exempt.

I think Homeland Security will want to do the export process nonetheless.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Greg Potts <greg@pottsfamily.ca> wrote:

> Hi Roger, > > RIV regs don't apply to German Vanagons as they are all older than 15 > years. I have seen Matilda in the flesh and I can assure you it's > admissable under current law. > > The 4 day CBP requirement is aimed at US export for a buyer. I think there > may be different rules in the case of a Canadian importation by the owner. > Payment of duties might be required however, I am not sure. Hopefully Joy > will not be required to sell her property to herself; that's ridiculous > IMO. > > Perhaps someone else who has emigrated from US to Canada could chip in > here; I can at least attest to knowing people who moved the other way and > their experience was not the same as someone from the USA who was buying a > Canadian vehicle. > > USEFUL INFO: > There's a little-known workaround to the process at the border crossing: > You can often find a federal import office at your local airport! As > recently as a few months ago I know of several local VW bus owners who > have successfully used the Customs office at the Oshawa Ontario airport to > get their paperwork processed, and that saved them a considerable hassle > dealing with the considerable line-ups at the US-based Customs and Border > Protection office at Queenston-Lewiston NY. (two hours away!) Hopefully > Joy could do likewise with a local airport so she doesn't have to travel > back to a border crossing. > > MORE NIT-PICKING; > Yes, Matilda will likely require a provincial safety inspection in order > to get a license plate sticker. Requirements for that vary by province; > some will also require emissions testing for certain years and others > won't. My 87 wolfsburg is emissions exempt in Ontario but my 88 is not. > YMMV. > > Bodywork certainly isn't going to be an issue as Matilda looked pretty > good last time I saw her. A "basically stock" westy such as Matilda will > most certainly meet Canadian import requirements without issues. If Joy > has been staying on top of the usual maintenance items then it should pass > the provincial safety standards without modifications being required. > > > Happy Trails, > > Greg Potts > www.pottsfamily.ca > WWW.BUSESOFTHECORN.CA <--- NEW .CA DOMAIN!!! > 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender hardtop Vanagon > 1973 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" > > > > > dear happy importer > > > > 1. you may be too early just because you have a work visa does not mean > > you > > should import now ... > > > > 2. importing a vehicle into canada is very strait forward (done 3 this > > year > > ) > > > > Prior to step one have all parts replaced and upgrades done that you can > > ... > > 30 to 40 % cheaper in usa > > > > step one go to RIV registar of imported vehicles and see if your vehicle > > is > > on any of the no no lists ... > > 2. if your vehicle is older than 15 years from date of manufacture it may > > be > > exempt from most rules > > 3. contact the Homeland office from which you wish to use as a crossing > > into > > the province you will be coming into ... > > ask them for a permission to export package to be emailed to you > > (i do not know if nfld is one of the choices but does not matter as that > > is > > destination and not crossing ) > > The offices are in a drop down window on the riv site which i can help > you > > with later (at work now) > > 4. at least 4 days before you desire to cross file the papers that the > > homeland office has emailed you .. file with the crossing you are > choosing > > to use > > 5. Only between the hours of 830 and 330 can you export so you must > arrive > > there between those hours ... NO EXCEPTIONS > > 6 go in with all your paper work and they will confirm that the vehicle > > you > > are asking to export is the vehicle you have > > 7 they give you permission with a stamp on your title card > > 8 proceed to canadian customs > > fill out an F1 at the desk in the centre of the main public area > > 9 pay certain taxes which are almost entirely at the discretion of the > cbs > > officer (air con and other items which may or may not be charged ) > > 10 drive to province of destination ... > > if applicable have province of destination do vehicle inspection prior to > > insurability ... > > depending on the place they may suggest certain expensive upgrades and > > replacements are required but because you got all your brakes just done > > ...did your fuel lines ... and alignment and dont have any rusty holes in > > the body or frame ... all your lights work even the lic ones ... and > > bumper > > covers are in place ... because you did that all in usa where it is > > considerably less $$ you are good to go with out any issues .... > > insure at local auto association office where you will also get auto > > association platinum rv auto club card ... to tow your vehicle the 200 > > miles between service areas in canada > > 11 enjoy canada eh ... ps i hear the beer is stronger ... faster ... more > > gooder than usa ... eh > > yours >

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie'

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27