Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:58:46 -0400
From:         Jason <uberhare@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: registering Matilda in Canada

Just to make everyone clear - RIV only applies to passenger vehicles less than 15 years old (by month/year production). You do not need to worry anything about the RIV program for a Vanagon. Don't even mention it is a "camper", just declare it as a VW Vanagon. Visit a customs office that does vehicle imports to obtain the correct paperwork, then you'll have to get a provincial safety inspection (if required by your province) and visit the local Ministry of Transport. No federalization required since the RIV program doesn't apply. Its pretty simple, not much to worry about. I've brought about 6 cars from US to Canada myself.

Jason

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com> wrote: > dear happy importer > > i have done this with a 1995 car ... a 1985 vanagon ... (mine) and a 2009 > Harley Davidson (for some one else) all in the last 5 months > > before you start anything ... you have only a permit to work ... which is > revocable ... and changeable .. regardless of what you think is going to > happen or plan for ... the last thing you want is to have your permit > changed and you have to import your american vehicle back to usa which may > not be allowed ... i would simply contact your insurance co and tell them > you are going to be working outside of the country for an indefinite period > of time ... > they will likely charge you accordingly ... and away you go ... once you > have it strait as to residency ... then import the vehicle > > also i had to upgrade the 1995 car so that it had daytime running lights ... > > The van i had nothing  to do ... here cause i had already done 6K$$ while in > the states ... > bottom line is the vehicle must meet safety requirements of the day of > manufacture as if brought in to canada on that day > > you can not import a vehicle that is already here ... PERIOD > > now if you want to continue and actually import ... > > ok lets be strait here . you are doing two things > first you are asking the usa to allow vehicle to be exported .. that must be > done through the office of the homeland security office you are crossing at > that has a vehicle export office ... > THE VEHICLE MUST BE STATE SIDE and not in canada for at least three days > prior to the date of export > exemptions here http://www.riv.ca/RIVExemptions.aspx  ... this is only > exempt from certain taxes and safety requirements  ... > other export import process still apply > > pick a crossing or exit from usa point here http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx > using drop down box to choose ...  as not every homeland station has a > vehicle export office ... > request via email from that office a permission to export kit ... it will > come with in 1 hour via email ... regardless of time you made request > > follow directions to the letter ... they will not inform you of an error > until you are standing at the border ... > that paper work must be at their office at least three days prior to the > date you wish to cross ... i usually give a week ahead ... > > YOU MUST HAVE CLEAR TITLE IN YOUR HAND ... > PICK STATE OF EXIT THAT INCLUDES PROVINCE OF ENTRY STATION so both sides of > the border are covered at the place you want to cross > > DO NOT TRY TO play silly buggers and short change any part of this process > as you will have your vehicle sitting in the states or worse between with no > hope of entry into canada and no ability to return to usa as you have > already gotten permission to export ... > > at the canadian entry ... have all your paper work in one file ... > i had to pay taxes on all the work i had done in the states ... > i was supposed to pay AC on van but i had removed and they let that pass ... > > On the car even though it was disconnected they charged for ... > > the CBS officer has a lot of discretion ... > be strait up with these guys about what you have that is new or replacement > they are not heartless but they do expect honesty ... and honesty at the > border often saves $$ > > joy if you want me to walk you through the process via telephone or google > chat ... lt me know ... i can make myself availble > yours > > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Joy Hecht <jhecht@alum.mit.edu> wrote: > >> Hi Roger, >> >> Looks like you know a bunch about this!   Yippee!  So I've listed a few >> questions so far: >> >> My van is already in Newfoundland.  She came in with me when I came in as a >> tourist in May 2010, and I haven't left with her since.  (I left for work on >> a plane, came back yesterday, got work permit officially entered in passport >> at the airport when I returned.)  So how do I deal with that?  I have no >> plans to drive to the US any time soon.  Definitely don't want to have to >> put 3000 miles on the van just to import it! >> >> I think that to be legal, I have to register my van in NL.  The rules all >> say that if you live here, you are required to do that.  So I am trying to >> be legal! >> >> What is the "Homeland" office?  Which government agency would that be?  Is >> that the Canada Border Crossing office?  How do I file papers - online? >> >> What is an F1? >> >> I think I don't have to pay HST or GST because I am allowed to bring >> personal goods with me when I move to Canada.  I'm not totally sure about >> that, though.  Do you know?  I take it you live in Canada?  Why have you >> imported a bunch of vehicles, are you in the business? >> >> Does CAA sell auto insurance?  I haven't looked into Canadian insurance yet >> at all.  I assume I need the insurance in place before I register it. >> >> What else can I ask you?  Please, do send lots more info!  Especially how >> to do this when the van is already in Canada, without driving back to the >> US, which is far and expensive and would take a lot of time that I don't >> want to give it at the moment. >> >> Thank you!!!!! >> >> >> >> >> Joy >> >> >> >> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com>wrote: >> >>> dear happy importer >>> >>> 1. you may be too early just because you have a work visa does not mean >>> you should import now ... >>> >>> 2. importing a vehicle into canada is very strait forward (done 3 this >>> year ) >>> >>> Prior to step one have all parts replaced and upgrades done that you can >>> ... 30 to 40 % cheaper in usa >>> >>> step one go to RIV registar of imported vehicles and see if your vehicle >>> is on any of the no no lists ... >>> 2. if your vehicle is older than 15 years from date of manufacture it may >>> be exempt from most rules >>> 3. contact the Homeland office from which you wish to use as a crossing >>> into the province you will be coming into ... >>> ask them for a permission to export package to be emailed to you >>> (i do not know if nfld is one of the choices but does not matter as that >>> is destination and not crossing ) >>> The offices are in a drop down window on the riv site which i can help you >>> with later (at work now) >>> 4. at least 4 days before you desire to cross file the papers that the >>> homeland office has emailed you .. file with the crossing you are choosing >>> to use >>> 5. Only between the hours of 830 and 330 can you export so you must arrive >>> there between those hours ... NO EXCEPTIONS >>> 6 go in with all your paper work and they will confirm that the vehicle >>> you are asking to export is the vehicle you have >>> 7 they give you permission with a stamp on your title card >>> 8 proceed to canadian customs >>> fill out an F1 at the desk in the centre of the main public area >>> 9 pay certain taxes which are almost entirely at the discretion of the cbs >>> officer (air con and other items which may or may not be charged ) >>> 10 drive to province of destination ... >>> if applicable have province of destination do vehicle inspection prior to >>> insurability ... >>> depending on the place they may suggest certain expensive upgrades and >>> replacements are required but because you got all your brakes just done >>> ...did your fuel lines ... and alignment and dont have any rusty holes in >>> the body or frame ... all your lights work even the lic ones ... and bumper >>> covers are in place ... because you did that all in usa where it is >>> considerably less $$ you are good to go with out any issues .... >>> insure at local auto association office where you will also get auto >>> association platinum  rv auto club card ... to tow your vehicle the 200 >>> miles between service areas in canada >>> 11 enjoy canada eh ... ps i hear the beer is stronger ... faster ... more >>> gooder than usa ... eh >>> yours >>> >>> >>> >>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Joy Hecht <jhecht@alum.mit.edu> wrote: >>> >>>> Hi folks, >>>> >>>> I've finally got something like legal status in Canada (work permit - not >>>> yet landed immigrant), so it's time to register Matilda in Canada, >>>> instead >>>> of in the US. >>>> >>>> Does anyone out there know about bringing vanagons from the US to Canada? >>>> >>>> I'm looking at Newfoundland vehicle registration instructions on line. >>>>  Does >>>> anyone know whether vanagons are considered cars, or light >>>> trucks/vans/less >>>> than 4500kg?  I'm assuming the latter. >>>> >>>> Is a vanagon considered by Transport Canada to be a "MULTIPURPOSE >>>> PASSENGER >>>> VEHICLES (MPV) MANUFACTURED BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1, 2007"? >>>> >>>> Or is it considered a "TRAVEL VAN CONVERSION (VAN CONVERSION)"  In which >>>> case it can't be brought into Canada, since their list of authorized >>>> conversion companies does not include Westfalia. >>>> >>>> I see that vehicles more than 15 years old are exempt from the "Register >>>> of >>>> Imported Vehicles" registration process.  But I don't know which parts of >>>> the import rules are that RIV process and which are some other process. >>>> >>>> Has anyone out there done this?  My van is already in Newfoundland.  I'm >>>> supposed to register it within 30 days (which is pretty nuts, since I >>>> have >>>> 90 days to get a NL drivers license, but I have to have a NL drivers >>>> license >>>> to register the van here).  I have no plans to leave the country within >>>> 30 >>>> days, or at any rate definitely not by road.  So I won't be taking it >>>> across >>>> the border. >>>> >>>> Bureaucracy is SUCH a PITA!!!!! >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Joy >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> -- >>> roger w >>>  From Proverbs: >>> Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a >>> servant who becomes king ... >>> ---------------------------------------------------------- >>> Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ >>> View the growing list of video work at: >>> http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners >>> >> >> > > > -- > roger w >  From Proverbs: > Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a > servant who becomes king ... > ---------------------------------------------------------- > Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ > View the growing list of video work at: > http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners >