Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:32:45 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Starter/battery cable

I'm about to start replacing the original starter cable in my 85 Westy. Somebody please yell if I'm doing something bad!

My plan is to put a battery post clamp on the battery end of the cable. I'm using 2ga. cable, which should be more than adequate, though possibly difficult to get around the corner beneath the battery box. I'll put a "hole" fitting at the other end, once I figure out the correct length. As someone suggested, I'm planning on using the balance of the cable to create a link between the starter and the alternator (big cable - don't recall the name of the connection). I read the description of tying a string to the old cable, etc. and plan to pretty much follow that path.

Question: The cable coming off the alternator is dual, as in two cables in one shared/paired housing (or at least seems to be). To where do these two cables go? I'm assuming one of them goes up to the battery, but the other?

I believe that's it. Please bail me out if it sounds like I'm going to need it.

Thanks in advance,

Karl Wolz