Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:56:35 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: /Window Tinting. Cut the curtains
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com>

I tinted the windows of my van about 2yrs ago. I used the dark limo shade of the "best" grade window film from Shuck's Auto Parts store. The film had shown remarkable durability...hard to damage, and I use my van. The film has taken on an appearance of reflective tint on the outside lately. The windows look almost 'silvered-over', which I understand it verbooten in some states..So I may be soon due to change the film or get stopped by the Gestapo for them not being able to see into my van through that 'faded' film.

Even before the film 'silvered-over' it was very cool inside and created good privacy during daylight hours. At night with the interior lit up, it's like it is not even there from the outside, even now with the silver surface appearance, but without interior light, you can change clothes inside without grossing-out your prudish neighbors...

It's fairly easy to apply on the flat windows of the Vanagon, if you pay attention and use windex and a squeege. I also put a "header" strip across the top of my windsheild, about 4" down from the roof. This is helpful when heading west into the sun, yet you can still see the mountains through the tint.