Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:49:11 -0400
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C Fuse Bentley pg 87.4
Comments: To: sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM

Michael, Been there and done that with the same symptoms. Mine melted the fuse and fried the pressure switch. I replaced the fuse and pressure switch and the fuse melted again. My problem ended up being increased resistance from corrosion on the ring terminals on some of the wiring back there. After replacing the ring terminals and cleaning everything else up that particular problem was fixed. Check for whitish or greenish corrosion here and strip back enough of the wiring until you have non-corroded wire to put a new ring terminal connnector on. I would never have thought that corrosion and an apparent increase in resistance would have caused such a large fuse to blow. Still not sure if an increase in resistance could cause the pressure switch to fail. Maybe someone on the list will chime in here. ? David Clarkson 90 Westy

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Sullivan &lt;sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM&gt; To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wed, Aug 18, 2010 11:59 am Subject: A/C Fuse Bentley pg 87.4

Can someone look at this page? There is a 50 amp fuse across the relay in fig at right top of the page. a/c relay and evap relay. When I picked up my van today from a/c shop this is what happened. Started it and heard the load tick-tick-tick. Turned on a/c and warm. Went to rear lid and noticed that the compressor connection harness was not hooked up and the lid was loose causing me to hear the tick-tick so I reconnected the harness and closed the lid. Drove across the street to the shop to have the freon refilled(he drained it and had not refilled it) but I smelled smoke. When I went to rear pillar the 50 amp ribbon? fuse in the figure was melting. I immediately shut off and the right connector to the fuse had just started to melt and the red #8? wire to the alt was very hot. Gonna go look for the fuse to replace and try again and then have him refill the freon, but what could have caused this fuse to melt. I had no problem previous to taking the van in. Kinda p'd off right now. Thanks guys and gals. Michael in San Antonio 91GL Weekender AT 2.1L 'Gringo'