Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:19:17 -0700
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heat, vapor lock, won't start?

Vapor lock in a fuel injected engine is a rare occurrence because the fuel is under pressure for the entire fuel loop.

There's another issue that occurs to engines with AFMs that also results in the problem you describe, and that's the progressive weakening of the spring inside the AFM over time, leading to a chronic "too rich" situation at all speeds. Although this can sometimes be corrected by adjustment of the mixture screw on the AFM, I've experienced the situation where the spring weakens to the point that fuel/air can't be adjusted back to a proper mixture with the screw alone.

When the engine is cold in the morning and during cooler weather the "too rich" situation frequently isn't that noticeable, and that's why you might not experience this problem in Seattle. But, let it get hot enough, like in Idaho, and re-starts can become impossible due to what essentially is a flooding situation. The engine can even die while running because it's getting too much fuel. You have to wait 20 minutes or so to let the excess fuel in the air distribution box evaporate and let the engine cool down before the engine can be started up again.

One trick to getting going that sometimes works here is to start up the engine with the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, allowing as much air as possible into the engine, which allows the "excess" fuel to be burned.

Tom Young

----- Original Message ----- From: "A. Hurley" <ahurley@SHOPVIEWIT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:38 PM Subject: Heat, vapor lock, won't start?