Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:03:01 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is it Calming to Drive a Vanagon
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

( warning, probably has spelling mistakes )

I can say this... when I got my first vanagon .. a diesel GL in 1992 .. I immediately serviced and tuned it throughout, put on 4 new HD Bilstein shocks. and then just went out driving all over the place on back roads, over hill and dale.. and realized it had been a long time since I went out driving just for the pure fun and joy of the driving, and not to get somewhere.

Done right.. they're fantastic ... a true 'sportsvan' if there ever was one.

it's not just a vehicle to get somewhere in .. driving one is always a Special Event.

and the more your personalize it and fine tune it throughout, the better it gets.

might as well do this here .. Vanagons I have for sale.

1. near show room condition 82 Sunroof Diesel Vanagon , stored indoors last 3 years, putting new oversize pistons in a 1.6 NA engine for it right now. So nearly perfect it almost belongs in a museum.

2. Rare 83 5-speed Sunroof Diesel Vanagon , no rust, good body, Currently running with tired 1.6 NA ..plan is for a fully rebuilt, new pistons, the works, 1.6 TD in a nice clean engine conversion installation.

3. 1984 ":L": model Vanagon ...nice plan model, barely a ding, extra attractive cream white on top, blue on the bottom, no PS, no AC, near flawless brown vinyl interior. Currently has a two person Adventurewagon bed in it. Runs, want to freshen up another 1.9 waterboxer engine for it, with new valve job, head gaskets. Super extra rust-free.

4. 1985 Westy GL with sink/stove/fridge removed, so it's a Faux Weekender. Fresh valve job and head gaskets on perfectly running 1.9 wbxr engine.4 speed trans, PS , some parts of the AC is still in the van, some removed. Currently fine tuning in every tiny detail, and in daily and trip use. I might have 60 hours already in it making sure all systems are fully roadworthy. and might do 40 more. Very rust free. Minor dings and some scratches. Perfect top and very good tent. Running darn perfectly right now, nice starting, steady idle, smooth running, good power, nice shifting, new clutch disc and the rest of the clutch is in fine working order ...CV's are new or freshly serviced, new 185 R 14 C 8PR rear tires ...'fine tuned' throughout and getting better on a daily basis.

5. 86 GL with auto trans. Silver, No dents, no rust. Runs, and I want to do valve job yet. Friend of mine says he wants it, but it's been years. PS and AC. Z bed, blue interior.

6. 87 Wolfsburg. The first 'Carat'. Factory lowered springs by half an inch ...fiberglass bumpers.. excellent 'sports car' vanagon. 4 speed manual trans, PS. Silver , no rust, but 3 areas of significant dents. runs, but I'm putting in a better 2.1 waterboxer.

7. 87 GL ....white, no dents, no rust, currently a 'mule' vanagon for running Subaru or inline four gas Jetta engines in ...I have a Westy poptop I plan to put on it. Nice van actually. Had an engine fire but that's all repaired. Could use some paint work in the right rear to make it perfect but it's painted now nicely enough to not rust or be a problem in any way . 4 speed trans, AC and PS.

8. 93 MV Poptop Eurovan, 5 speed manual trans. Runs and I'm going through things now. Have some rust repair to do on it yet. Bright teal turquoise paint. quite attractive I think.

all located southern Oregon. When I sell a van, it's been worked over from one end to the other .. and anything not really right I tell you about ..and t basically they're refurbished in every system and fully roadworthy.

oh, not mine, but also a 89 SVX engined, Syncro Westy ..it's over 40K ..and worth it, new paint, tires, many extra goodies etc.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "J Stewart" <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:48 PM Subject: Re: Is it Calming to Drive a Vanagon