Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:51:13 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How Hot Behind Dometic Fridge On 100+F Day? (insulation
              clearances)
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com>

Melting candles?! ;)

Yah that's hot.

I'll keep searching. Maybe find info on rigid board (expanded polystyrene) flammability.

If the Dow product expansion is the only real threat, well, I'll have a bulging Westy. Ha!

Neil.

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 6:56 PM, craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com> wrote: > It gets hot. I could easily see over 165 on a 100 degree day. > I've had the whole interior of my car be over 165 on a 100 degree day > (Sitting in the nevada sun with the windows closed....). > And I know that there is noticeable heat in the back of the fridge. So i > have no doubt, that it "Can" get past that, or at least near that. > Candles melt in my car. It's inconvenient. > -Craig > '85GL turned WESTY > BOSTIG in the back > '87 SUNROOF Syncro > > > On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM, neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Hi all. >> >> Searching but to no avail. >> >> If anyone has a quick answer, it would be much appreciated. >> >> What's heats have people measured behind the Dometic 182 on a really >> hot day. Say over 100F. >> >> I'm installing 1" rigid board insulation to 2" thick. On average, >> there's now 1" between fridge cooling fins and the Dow Styrospan. This >> stuff is rated to 165F. I found a caution in Dow's knowledge base >> saying the foam starts to expand when heated beyond 165F, but I'm >> being overly cautious here as I need to be sure this stuff won't be a >> fire hazard. >> >> If I have to, I'll add a layer of 1/2" cement board between back of >> fridge and insulation, but that will reduce clearance at rear and I'll >> have to find a way to secure it. (heavy) >> >> Thanks, >> >> Neil. >> >> -- >> Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" >> >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > >