Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Aug 2010 07:46:53 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Helpful heat hint..water-wetter
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Thanks for the reminder on this Don. I might just try it after my next flush. My coolant temps are mainly under control, but my oil still climbs a bit higher than I'd like. I used to see 275F+ oil temps over mountain passes, but since installing a V6 TDI oil cooler, I haven't seen above 260F, even pushing it hard on this last trip. But I can tell the engine is hotter than it likes as I start to lose power. Coolant temps never went above 3/4 on the gauge.

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last week there was a thread on temperature going up/oil pressure going > down and oil coolers, etc. I recall no one mentioned the Redline > Water-wetter product to help with more effective heat transfer. It does do > that. > > It is widely used in racecars. I used it in mine and found it lowered my > coolant temperature by about 10-15% when running flat out and really taxing > the cooling capacity of the system in my car, especially during the Nevada > Open Highway events. For some hot summer events where our target average > spee d was 175mph for a hundred mile course, we encountered taxing loads > on the drive train of the 928gt, probably similar to a Vanagon climbing a > long grade or fighting a headwind. When the thermostat is wide open and > the > temperature still climbs higher than you might want, Water Wetter in your > cooling system will cool your internals more effectively. I observed this > when running flat-out in the high desert, climbing 10, 20 even 40 mile > grades at very close to full throttle and right at the edge of > overheating.. > > Google around to find it. Worthwhile if you need more effective cooling. > It works by somehow reducing the surface tension of the water in the system > and making it contact and transfer heat better, I am told. >

-- Shawn Wright