Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:01:06 -0700
From:         Tim King-syncrowesty <syncrowesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Updating an old dual battery/suby install: Can I ditch the fridge
              relay and just a SurePower 1315?
Comments: To: subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com

Hey Folks - One problem with never driving your van is that you don't remember how you fixed it last time....

I recently had an issue where my starter battery died. I went to jump it from my house battery and it was down to 10v also... turns out my relays were "stuck" (and hot to the touch) on and keeping the batteries joined when engine off. I'm not sure if the dying battery caused this, or the relay situation hastened the death of the battery. I've now replaced the battery and need to deal with the house battery relay situation.

Currently I use the Stancor 901, triggered off the stock westy fridge relay. It's worked well for five years. But now I'm having trouble getting the relays triggered. Either the fridge or Stancor is bad and drawing too many amps (the Stancor trigger might just pull a lot. I measure .75 amps. Anyone else ever measure this?).

Bottom line is that I can't activate the Stancor with my blue alt wire. I can activate the fridge relay with the alternator wire, but then the voltage on that wire drops a lot (from about 13v to 8v) and my alt light comes on. This leads me to believe the fridge relay is bad (though if you disregard the blue alt wire issue, it seems to otherwise work ok - I can even trigger the stancor of terminal 30 - but my battery light stays on).

Adding another layer of complication - and the reason I added the suby list here - I have a little interface board that was designed to fix the Subaru tach issue and also boost the alternator signal to make dash the alt light turn off (I think this was a Weird Stuff We Make's design that I got it from SmallCar as a prototype). That's been fine for 6.5 years, but the booster could have died, I suppose, instead of (or maybe in addition to) the relay deaths.

In other words, it could be a bunch of things. And did I mention that we want to go to Yellowstone on Tuesday?

So I'm hoping I can say the heck with it and simplify.

My understanding is that 1315 can be triggered from the X-signal (actually rereading this, I'm now thinking I don't even need the X-signal - the 1315 doesn't need a trigger, correct?) and I can bypass the whole alternator signal/light/booster mess. That sounds great. What I don't understand is how this affects the fridge.

Can I just run the fridge off my house battery and fuse block and skip the fridge relay? I assume this means I need to remember not to leave the fridge on battery in camp or at home. Or is there some kind of signal I can tap into on the 1315 that will act like the fridge relay (I know, I'm dreaming). I suppose I could get another fridge relay, assuming this one is bad, and trigger that off the 1315 or the X-signal. Or is there another way to wire up the fridge to get similar functionality (sidenote: have you priced the fridge relays? They are crazy expensive: $45-$60!)

What about the other wires from the fridge relay? 86/Blue wire gets taped up. Red/blk term 85 from ground/starter solenoid; taped? How about the others?

Whew. If anyone has any suggestions (ranging from "it'll work" to "you're an idiot" is fine), I'm glad to hear it all.

Tim

PS One project at a time: Next I'm hoping my recently deceased syncro gas gauge is a ground, (Please, please be a bad ground.)

-- Tim King Seattle WA 87 Syncro Westy/ 01 Suby 2.5