Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:56:50 -0400
From:         Jay Brown <badkarma@TTLC.NET>
Subject:      Updating an old dual battery/suby install: Can I ditch the fridge
              relay and just a SurePower 1315?
Comments: To: syncrowesty@GMAIL.COM

Hi Tim,

I use a Blue Sea Systems SI 7610 Automatic Charging Relay to control the batteries in my '85 Zetec powered Westy. http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/387

I like the Blue Seas ACR because it can handle 120A (compared to 100A for the SurePower 1315) and seems to be built a bit more robust. Blue Sea Systems products are designed for boats, so they tend to be "over-designed" since you can't just call AAA when you are at sea...

Much like the Subie, the Zetec doesn't use the blue field wire to control the fridge relay. Before I pulled my fridge a couple years ago to gain more storage space I controlled it using a standard 40A SPST relay triggered by the "key in" circuit. This won't keep you from killing the battery if you leave the keys in the ignition, but why would you do that anyway?

There are a few shots of my setup posted on www.thesamba.com <http://www.thesamba.com/> , just search the gallery for submitter "thatvwbusguy".

Jay Brown

'85 Zetec Westfalia

'87 Zetec Wolfsburg