Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:12:16 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Potts new Vanagon(s)

I dunno, I had a couple of air cooled busses..a 57 was my first one and I logged thousands of happy (and stoned) miles in that one, but it was no match for my inline four gas 84 vanagon. Two different critters altogether.

The old bus, or almost any aircooled one, they are...'enthusiast-vehicles'...Not what you might choose if you just realistically assesed how it performs and what kinda attributes it has... Especially an Air cooled westie, I guess. Pretty slow on the highway and the motor is a bit over-taxed trying to maintain speeds that won't get you run over from behind.

I watched a lot of my friends own these busses. Especially 'love/hated' by the female friends without any mechanical inclination. These things were always in the shop. New motors needed often...maybe because of how they were driven, or maybe just because...But my adventurous female friends loved having those cute little campers, all neat and 'buttoned-down with the fancy Westfalia curtains and stuff... Many of them now drive newer SUVs, Honda Elements and the like, and they always 'wax-nostalgic' about their "old bus...never shoulda sold it..."..etc.

The vanagons on the other hand, if you consider them for what they do, they will compare favorably with any vehicle, including brand new modern ones. Yes, they have some issues, especially those with standard stock motors, but they work really well and you don't have to "love em" in order to use one every day or own one as your only vehicle. You can't say that about an air cooled bus anymore..If you transplant another motor into a vanagon, you have an outstanding vehicle you can use without undue thought or worries..

I chose a Vanagon after really looking around. Not because I couldn't buy some modern thing like a Sprinter or something but because a vanagon is exactly right for my needs. I have some other vehicles that sit idle now...I always seem to take the Vanagon everywhere...

An older bus...never really considered that for a daily driver this time around. Yeah, back in highschool or when I was a hippie...it was fine, but nowadays, ..not for me. I am not a 'collector' or a Bus nut, but just a vangaon driver...

Don Hanson