Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:57:50 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: One more %^$ part...
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com>

Low on coolant and running hot will do the same. We just returned from our annual 10 day excursion and had a similar situation. We went from Anchorage to Whitehorse then to Skagway. From there we took the ferry to Haines then back to Haines Junction and turned for home, roughly 1600 miles total. On our way out we stopped at aptly named Destruction Bay on Kluane Lake for fuel where I noticed coolant leaking from the left bank. I could not see a specific leak as it was all over the end of the head and surrounding parts. We nursed it to Whitehorse home of John's Auto a Vanagon friendly shop for advice and or repairs. The van was running ok other than having to add coolant and the annoying habit of the engine would act fuel starved but revive for a short time by cycling the ignition switch. It eventually dawned on me that this was telling me we were getting low on coolant and the temp sensor was not reading correctly. When topped off it was fine but low coolant gave the same symptoms. As pulling a head on the road was not on our list of things to do and we were not leaking much after talking to the tech's at John's we decided to nurse the van home and just keep adding water. On our return passage through Destruction Bay we stopped for food and fuel. While there I checked out the engine and finally found the true source of our problem. It was the preformed hose from the upper left rear cyl. head to the rail around the hatch opening. I just happened to be looking at the one spot you can see the hose under the A/C compressor while I revved the engine and saw water squirt out. It would not leak at idle only under pressure from the pump did it appear. The leak was just passed the water outlet and right before where the hose does a 90 degree turn and reduces down in size. I used duct tape and clamps to try and slow it down as we were roughly 570 miles from home. This worked for 210 miles but it finally failed completely 30 miles outside of Tok at 10PM that evening. My wife thumbed a ride into Tok and got in touch wth a friend of ours whom happens to be the Food and Beverage Manager for a hotel there. He set us up with a room the n drove her back out to pick up our two kids and the Great Dane. I stayed with the van until the tow truck arrived and rode in with it. The next morning(Sunday) I called the owner of Arctic Import a Vanagon friendly shop in Anchorage and though he was out of stock on the house he had a downed van that he pulled one from and a friend of ours drove it the 330 miles to Tok. It pays to know the right people and have their personal cell numbers at times!

Mark in AK