Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:26:48 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 L Oil filler tube needed
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

all right Dave, on the right track. there are several things in vanagons that some vanagon owners don't know about. the oil filler extension is one. rear heater valve is another. how to operate the heater control levers intelligently is another.

they sure are good about not using oil. I sure would say oil control, and especially pistons, rings and barrels on waterboxer engines are extra good. I'd say it's normal that they don't use a drop of oil, unless leaking.

I'm going to move in the direction of having oil pressure gauge, oil temp gauge, and air type external oil cooler for summer operation, long hot hills, etc.

I just climbed up about 8 miles of pretty steep road recently. 85 Westy GL , 1.9 wbxr with manual trans .. Most of that climb I could not pull 3rd gear. I was stuck at 30mph and 4,000 rpm in 2nd much of that climb. Would be very interesting to see what the oil temp was on that climb. Higher than desirable I bet. Since that engine is so super tight, smooth running ( fresh valve job and head gaskets ) I'm putting synthetic oil in that engine today. if a waterboxer engine is in perfect fine running condition.. like good compression in all cylinders, and doesn't use a drop of oil .... I don't see any reason to not run a synthetic oil , particularly in summer .

I think they need all the help they can get. I like the smoothness of the 1.9 ....definitely a bit smoother dynamically than the 2.1 .. could use more hill climb oomph though .. and I'm sure impressed with fuel mileage on a somewhat heavily loaded big box at 20 and 21mpg. ..including some hill climbs and fast cruising. Be real interesting to see what a 2.1 long block would do in there.( my other good van, an 85 Adventurewagon ..I run a 2.1 engine with 2.1 exhaust and intake but 1.9 Digijet EFI ...it runs real well... but I don't think it would do 21mpg doing what I just did with this 85 Westy 1.9 )

More power for sure ....but I would expect at least one mpg fuel mileage penalty with a 2.1 over a 1.9 . it's just hills that are a problem - lol. and tires ..anther discussion going on about that.. but this 85 westy with 1.9 will accelerate on light grades in top gear ..and the stock size tires are a large factor there I think.

being able to monitor oil temp and pressure .....knowing those are within reasonable limits, would reduce the stressful feeling of pushing the poor thing up long hot hills, if those #'s stay in a good range.

so next is Mobil One synthetic oil probably, and I have an oil pressure gauge setup ready to install, then do another trip. man are we having fun with these vans ! Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:04 PM Subject: Re: 2.1 L Oil filler tube needed