Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:03:25 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Garcia's Ghost doesn't like gettin' high.

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> power loss due to altitude is gradual. > like if your engine has 100 hp at sea level.. > 90 hp at say 7,000 feet. > one poster said 3 hp per 1,000 feet gain I think...sounds about right. >

Power loss due to elevation is not linear. There are layers in our atmosphere, it is stratified. The HP loss due to elevation is not a smooth curve. Up to >5000' of elevation the 02 content doesn't change very quickly or with much effect on 02-sensitive systems....systems like internal combustion engines or human athletes. At around 5000' above sea level there is a distinct and relatively sharp decrease in the O2 content. At 5000' elevation and up, your power loss 'comes on' quickly and noticeably . From my experience, you can consider <5000' as one "zone", normal elevation, and above 5000' your can think 'high elevation'. There is another 'sharp' decrease in O2 somewhere around 13,000' but of course, no roads that high so N/A as far as engines are concerned. I would guess the 3% of hp per 1000' goes something like...a few % power loss only, until around 5000' elevation and then about 15% between 5000' and 7000'. I found some graphs online showing this curve, but don't have those handy.

> > > for a 'cant' get out of it's own way' .. >

I drive through that area around Mammoth Lakes in California (Hwy 395, etc) often and I've done a bicycle race out of the Owens Valley (Bishop, Ca., elevation around 4500') . At Bishop's elevation, everything is relatively normal but once up the Sherman Grade (tops out around 8000'?)...power loss really happens. I often find myself checking to see if my parking brake is on by mistake as I near the summit of that Sherman Grade. When racing my bicycle there in what is a brutal, mainly climbing, race, after descending back to the Owens Valley floor between the consecutive mountain climbs, it feels like you almost get 'super-charged' by all that "extra oxygen"...(yeah, right...) Check out the elevation profile of the bike race below. Other info on that area in the EC race website too... an austere but spectacular part of California.

http://www.everestchallenge.com/page1.ihtml?id=10

> So without resorting to a spreadsheet- I've lost a third of my horsepower? >> Good grief. >> I guess my main question is: Is there a point (that can be expressed in >> altitude) at which the ECU can no longer adjust the mixture? Any of you >> Boulderites want to weigh in? >> Btw, the cold start problem seems to be related to flooding. >> >> Cya, >> Robert >> > "A third of my horsepower"? Close to that, I guess. Significant, anyhow. Your van is probably not 'acting up', it just 'sucks' at high elevation and doesn't get any air... There is a Vanagon-centric shop in Bishop, said to be good. I bet he has first-hand experience with Vanagon behavior at those elevations and could give you some specific information.. Elevations like that is where forced induction engines come into their element. You can program the boost to give your motor adequate oxygen for optimum combustion, where a Normally aspirated motor, the ECU has to reduce the amount of fuel to match the reduced available 02 in order to keep the optimum combustion (stoichmetric) mix. It is amazing the advantage a supercharged or turbocharged has at elevation... Don Hanson

Don Hanson