Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:52:00 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire question: Sorry, but ...
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Hey well just for the fun of it...I am going to use my tire temperature probe from the racetrack. Left over in my tool box from my racing days where I use that to tune suspension, etc. I learned a LOT about tires when I raced, but not much about street tires. I did learn about heat generated by tire pressures. One wide-spread practice in racetires is to inflate them with nitrogen to minimize heat-generated pressure increase. As a tire comes up to racing temp with atmosphere inflated inside, they can gain up to 7psi but with nitrogen, they will only gain a few lbs....So when you filled the tires with nitrogen, you could start a race with almost the correct pressures, rather than running a lap or so underinflated while the temperature caused the pressure to increase. When you are running about 20psi in a 12.5" wide slick racing tire...7lbs is huge. You couldn't really start at 13psi and depend on the tire staying on with the forces generated by high cornering G-forces and big HP.

I started these Hakkas out at 44r and 39f..then after my test drive, I upped the fronts to 43 and the rear to 46...I will take some tread temp readings...see what temps I get...I bet cold, compared to a race tire

Don Hanson