Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Sep 2010 20:07:08 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Clutch alignment tool? and Lapping compound ?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Cheap plastic alignment tool is the best solution, lacking an extra input shaft lying around. In a pinch, I've used my finger to hold it basically lined-up, lightly-finger-snugged the PP bolts, eye-balled the centering, final aligned it with a wood dowel, then wrench-snugged the PP bolts the rest of the way. Close enough is good enough on this job. As long as it's not grossly misaligned, it'll self-center upon installation of the engine into the trans bellhousing. A wiggle here, a push in there, a crank hand-spin a little here, another wiggle-push there, and it's in! Not usually too tough.

Regarding hand-lapping the head, your method with take forever, if it's out a couple thou. Better to check it with a straight-edge and feeler guages, to see if it's warped anywhere. If it is, take it to a head rebiulder for a light 'belt-sand' or a milling, if excessive.

Mike B.

-------------------------------------------------- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 7:16 PM To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Clutch alignment tool? and Lapping compound ?