Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:16:08 -0400
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Running Vanagon, $75,
              right now - HELP! - Chicago/Evanston area
Comments: To: Detroit Bus <detroit.bus@GMAIL.COM>

Wondering how you made out?!?!? Did someone come through and help you with this transaction, or should the guy at Rolf's now join the list?

Hi list-

I have an emergency situation that i'm hopeful someone in the Chicago area can help with.

I am willing to give you, outright, my 1981 Vanagon, which I drove from Detroit to Chicago yesterday. 300 miles in very hot weather. Why? This morning, loaded with the contents of our Chicago apartment, the front brake lines failed and drizzled brake fluid all over the pavement. The estimate from Rolf's in Evanston is more than I can spend. I owe them $75 for the diagnosis. All you have to do is pay that and the vehicle is yours, as such:

So here's the deal...if someone local in Chicago on this list wants my Vanagon, you have to guarantee that the contents of the Vanagon (it is filled with furniture, bicycle, lamps, etc.) arrives in Detroit. Maybe you have a pickup. Maybe you own a moving company. It doesn't matter how the contents get to Detroit, as long as they get there, sometime in the next week or so. My stuff is going to Detroit, but my wife and I are heading west to California in a different vehicle. The Vanagon was supposed to spend its retirement in Detroit, but apparently wants to stay in Chicago.

Here are the terms:

You will take possession of the Vanagon at Rolf's in Evanston tomorrow morning by paying the $75 charge against it. You will remove contents and get them to my house in Detroit, without my assistance, or any further fee. You will receive a signed Illinois title in Detroit. (The vanagon is currently registered, with current Illinois plates through 05/11) This has to happen tomorrow morning, Wednesday, 9am You have to call me tonight at 917-881-3882. If I don't hear from anyone tonight I am giving the Vanagon to Rolf's for $75 to pay the bill, and we will rent a UHaul to move the contents.

It is NOT driveable! But it will be if you replace the front lines. It is a great runner.

It is not a good looking Vanagon, but it has a decent engine, doesn't leak a drop of oil, and like I said it just drove from Detroit to Chicago. It also has a brand new clutch and a history of regular oil changes.

Also has an original gas heater, nice for Chicago. This would be an ideal work vehicle.

Please do NOT call unless you can meet the terms above without further conditions. I have no room or time for alternate scenarios.

HELP! Garrick 917-881-3882 mobile

Garrick

-- Garrick

'63 Panel Jalousie Camper '81 Vanagon Transporter

***** With fond remembrances of: '87 Vanagon Weekender '77 Beetle '59 Single-cab Pickup '67 Beetle '67 Kombi Bus '76 Camper Bus