Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:34:20 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: High Idle
Comments: To: Paul <wognacious@GMAIL.COM>

I wouldn't run higher than mid-grade fuel in it, period. An injector cleaner is fine, and is smart to put in once or twice a year.

if you think you've almost run out of fuel, you could/should check the fuel filter. Always empty one out backwards to see what's in it, then check to see how clogged is by blowing through it. the better set up on an 85 for fuel filter is get rid of the small original one, and install the large 'can style' used on 86 and later vanagons.

if doing anything with the gas pedal makes idle drop down , then it would be good to clean that whole cable system . I pull them out of the white plastic tube in the forward half of the van .. blow that out with compressed air .. generously lube the rear half of the throttle cable , then shoot lube into the white plastic tube as you feed the throttle cable back in. Lube the bell crank mechanism below the gas pedal. the white tube has a habit of sliding forward in the body, exposing some of the inner cable at the middle, doesn't really hurt much, but ...it's better to slide the white tube back an inch or so to where it belongs, then use a small hose clamp at the front to keep it from siding out of position again.

on 1.9's .......'usually' ...very commonly, I find the timing set too advanced, and the idle switch not making contact or not adjusted right. the throttle plate can stick in the bore of the throttle body too, like get stuck a bit at idle after sitting. the tiny screw that's the actual throttle stop, that you normally never touch ...adjusting that a tad might help, I'm going to give that a shot on the throttle body of an 85 Westy GL I'm making all happy again.

anyway ...careful attention to detail, adjust things to spec, and lube everything that moves , and that likely will help a lot. that's probably all you need - cleaning, adjusting, lubing.

supposedly the throttle cable on a vanagon is 'serviced for life' which isn't really true . Almost 'all' vanagons need their throttle cable pulled out, the white tube cleaned out and lubed .. and the front part serviced under the gas pedal. And lubing the rear part where the inner cable slides in the black outer cable ....those need to be lubed too.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul" <wognacious@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 6:46 AM Subject: High Idle