Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 2010 18:58:20 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: How much should parts cost?
Comments: To: Jay lefstein <jleftbrane@GMAIL.COM>

you're totally right about some shops not being aware of the vanagon community. from not being online. I think we like to think,...heck we 'know' that we have as a whole group, as a movement even, developed quite a powerful network of vanagon resources. Shops that are not connected in there are missing out on a lot !

even had a case recently ....a guy's 91 Carat that would cut out and buck .. part of the story of that year long saga was that he had to a 'very expereinced' VW and Vanagon techicina...like decades worth of expereince the guy cliamed, yet he had never heard of 'vanagon syndrome'. if he was tied into lists like this he sure would know about then !

and .....odd thing too... where I am there must be 200 vanagons , at least...southern Oregon, probably more even. Quite common. yet.....I think there is exactly one local vanagon person who's into these groups and this fantastic online resource, and he knows about me from there. But all the rest of them .. I do have a few other non-yahoo group vanagon customers ... but since so few of the local vanagon owners are on lists like this ...few know of me. Most of my vanagon jobs come from out of town, even out of state.

isnt' that odd. and ....anybody with half a brain who studies and ..heck, they can just lurk, don't even have to ever post ..if they follow this and other groups they will known what commonly goes wrong, what parts should cost .. where to get them etc.... Like I 'could' own and work on vanagons without these lists, but that would be so dull and boring compared to this great community and resource we have, and have built up together over time.

re if the shop charged $95 an hour to handle finding parts for Vanagons

shops don't charge customers labor time for finding parts .. or I sure hope they don't !

the shop has to mark up the parts a reasonable amount to cover the costs of what it takes to supply parts, and the responsibilty that goes with suppling a part.

believe me, it would be more effecient to tear up 20 dollar bills than it would be to sell parts at cost. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay lefstein" <jleftbrane@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 5:48 PM Subject: Re: How much should parts cost?