Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 2010 23:02:18 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Should I rebuild the bottom end? Questions & photos.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

re These are almost a torque to yield and leakage at the top of the cylinders means the studs no longer maintained enough tension to keep the heads down under pressure.

How do you figure ? the studs and nuts are not like regular torque to yield fasteners...turn to a certain torque, then two more 90 degree turns say. they just go to 37 ft lbs , and that's it. and ...that's such a very low figure .. I can't imagine there's much actual tension load on the studs, not compared to normal engines anyway.

the do twist, for sure ....springy even , kinda weird. the only 'danger' I've seen with them is breaking off at the bottom from corrosion.

and I'm sure it's smart to replace the cyl head studs, just never found the need myself. there's not a huge amount of force going on , compared to normal engines. If it was say 100 ft lbs ..or 60 ft lbs plus two 90 degree turns sure ... but not at a plain ole 37 ft lbs.

those tiny crack like appearing lines on the block flat spots next to the rod .. I don't think those are real cracks.

and ....now I'm starting to think 2.1's might be weak or shaky in the bottom end .. I know of two with pretty bad noises in them and cam bearings or cam gear is suspect so far .. both are on rebuilds , one with maybe 20K on it, one with 30K .

and I have another 2.1 ...just a 'mystery' engine someone gave me, so figured I'd try it out .. it's been rebuilt before .... just has a noise in it, not lifters.....cam or crank related and more like cam perhaps, so ..given all that .. maybe it would be a very good idea to split the cases .. see what you really have in there.

there's on engine ..from a very clean looking van, not that many miles ... even had a tow bar like it had been towed behind an RV .. so I was tempted to put in just rings and do the head .. ( it was a diesel ) ...once I got inside the engine ...'everything' was tired.

so ...if wanting to 'feel safe' driving down the road in the future with that engine .. you'll probably feel much better if you go through the bottom end too.

that'll be interesting ! Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 9:01 PM Subject: Re: Should I rebuild the bottom end? Questions & photos.