Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 2010 14:32:15 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 > 2.1 cooling kit?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

hi David.. lol. nice to read your words. but what time to I devote and divert to this project ? !

let's see ...I put my first oil pressure gauge on a car in about 1966 probably... it IS pretty elemental. heck, instructions come with some OP gauges.

and you mention vibration .. man did I ever learn about that factor from diesel vanagons. and I've worked on aircraft.. where vibration is always a real issue. things rub and short out or leak. things vibrate and just break from metal fatigue.

so for sure ....if a mechanical line comes off the engine to a gauge, it has to be well protected from vibration . I have even used a grease gun hose just for that and that works really well. Though you figure that eventually the grease gun hose would have to fail ...they're oil resistant of course, and have to be make to stand hundreds of lbs of pressure I'd think.

and ...waterboxer in particular .. that is a tricky engine to put an oil pressure gage on, coming off the left underside there between the pushrod tubes. I have two metal line set ups I'm going to work with there...any day now, on my getting-her-all-dialed in 85 Westy GL 1.9 wbxr .. and for sure, I am going to be thinking a lot about fatigue on that metal line. Like whatever is done there, just can not fail.

I have done this on a metal oil line before ..happened to be a turbo oil feed line ...one type adapted to another engine ...and I could see the potential for metal fatigue on that line. I don't see how it could hurt to have a lead wheel weight clamped to it in the middle of a longish span, to dampen out vibes. It never failed, I can say that.

normally we don't worry about vibration that much on gasoline engines. But diesels taught me ... it can be a real issue. the one that really taught me that was a diesel vanagon where there is one plastic clip that keeps the hot positive battery cable up off the oil filter. About 5,000 miles driving is enough ......if the positive batt cable is riding on the oil filter ......... to rub through the wire insulation, zap to the oil filter, and light that on fire. Fortunately on that particular van .. the driver didn't have a fire extinguisher, and by luck a power company truck came by with one and put out the fire that was starting to eat at all the plastic parts on top of the engine, like air filter box. No serious damage in that van fortunately.

heck, one thing I don't like about oil pressure gauges is that they can add an element of UNreliability if the oil line fails in any way going to a mechanical gage. which is why an electrical one with sender on engine is better.

ok, long enuf ! Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@attglobal.net> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:09 PM Subject: Re: 1.9 > 2.1 cooling kit?