Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 2010 23:42:03 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear wheel over half in muddy water. Need to repack bearings
              or ???
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

The grease fitting for rear wheel bearing housing is really a wonderful idea!! This way you can over pack the bearings so they can heat up churn the grease real bad, blow out the seals and then lubricate the rear brake hardware along with the shoes. All in 5 to 10 pumps. The grease that goes into the rear trailing arm will help to rust prof it.

Sorry I am lousy at sarcasm but this is just a bad idea to solve a problem that really does not exist.

If you really want to lubricate the rear wheel bearings without disassembly, get a small needle for your grease gun. Remove the drum, and wheel flange, then the one seal. Insert the grease needle between the rollers into the housing area. Now fill until fresh grease comes out of the bearing. Now for the important part. Wipe out all the excess grease outside the rollers. Yes, all of it. Replace the seal. You want space behind the seal for some of the new grease to flow out without pushing out the seal or getting forced past it into the brake area.

Dennis