Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Sep 2010 13:39:47 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      semi-urgent auto transmission question

Got my 86 van back a week or so ago after a transmission rebuild that has been a saga. I will cover that in more detail at some point. The short version is that the rebuilder had the van twice, and for a long time both times.

When I got it back a week ago the trans was working better than I've ever experienced in a vanagon. But then I've only had basically worn out transmissions in mine. So over the 100 miles or so I've driven it since I got it back, it has developed a problem when cold. Today I start the van, let it idle about a minute and back up my driveway, which is uphill. Fine. Put it in D and hear/feel nothing. Step on the gas and it revs freely up to about 2500 then the van takes off with a thud. For about the first block, it felt like it was maybe slipping or was in 2nd gear instead of 1st. After that it drove normally, but the shift points seemed a little lower than before.

I think this symptom has to do with the trans not properly developing pressure when cold? I've had the slipping in R when cold symptom before this rebuild so I'm a little surprised it went up the driveway so well in R and then didn't engage D.

Checking the fluid level, it seems a tiny bit high. Probably about 1/8" above the top mark based on checking it hot, many times, and parked on different "level looking" places to try to get a good reading. Could this be a factor?

I was planning on taking a trip for about a week in the next few days. Probably 1000 miles or less. I can deal with the symptoms I have now but don't know if it will get worse or damage something inside worse. Opinions?

Edward