Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:03:58 -0500
From:         Barb Ourada <barbron@EXCEL.NET>
Subject:      Fuel mixture too rich?

Suggestions needed.

Have a 85 manual digijet.

Awhile ago, the van seemed to miss or slip power going down the road, and since the clutch had a lot of miles, I thought it was due for a change. Pulled the engine and did the clutch work. Cleaned the engine while out, cleaned grounds, new hoses and clamps, etc., and also new exhaust pipes. Put engine back in, but did not add cat and muffler before testing. Although loud, it started ok, but after a short warm up, it started to hesitate and stumble at lower rpm's and load. The first suspects were the cold start components not shutting down. The auxiliary air regulator was checked out in freezer and heated, and it functioned like it should, not real fast though. The pinch the hose test also was correct. Both temp sensors seemed ok per resistance readings. And the idle/full throttle switch was replaced.

The timing has been checked good, the wires are low mileage, and the spark plugs are new. I put the cat and muffler on and installed a new O2 sensor although the old was probably still ok. Problem still persisted. It seems like it is half choking after initial warm up and any load. Going downhill and flat after getting into high rpm, it is ok, but lugs on trying to accelerate.

The fuel pump is new, and fuel pressure checks ok, and I replaced the return fuel line to make sure the pressure was not high. Vacuum advance does function. Sitting still, and slowly increasing engine speed, it hunts at 1500 to 2000 rpm, then revs rapidly after passing that sticky range. From a parts van, I exchanged the air flow meter, same problem; exchanged the ECM, same problem. Can't vouch for the soundness of those parts, but I did drive the parts van home years ago, (no brakes was the problem). So I ordered a remanufactured, as they call it, air flow meter, and put it in, with the same problem with either ECM in place. Rechecked the coolant senor, and it still reads resistance a la chart at the wiring harness. Fresh gas with fuel injector cleaner along the way did not help. The gas gauge has dropped rapidly for the miles, which also leads me to believe the engine is choking itself. I do live in small hilly area, so the van cannot be driven with its current attitude. I can't always go downhill, and I am running out of ideas, and the time spent is getting ridiculous. Also exchanged coils, same same. Anyone had a similar problem, and found the fix, I hope!! Thanks for your time. Suggestions please.

Ron Ourada, blue 85 wtrbxr.