Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:10:48 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel mixture too rich?
Comments: To: Barb Ourada <barbron@EXCEL.NET>

are you sure the idle switch is closing at close to zero throttle ? I find those not making contact commonly. if a rare case, make sure that idle signal is getting all the way to the ecu.

it's a really important input to the ecu. I 'usually' find that not working right on lots of vanagons.

also the 02 sensor wire to the ecu .. check if it's shorted or open .. and watch the voltage swings from the 02 sensor at idle...see if it looks like it should.

and air leaks/ vacuum leaks .. cant' say that enough. I have found up to 10 tiny air leaks in a 1.9 waterboxer intake system before.

never hurts to pull the injectors out and watch them spray. I've tested a dozen before to come up with 4 really nicely spraying ones that didn't drip.

you gotta have a fuel pressure gauge. it's rare, but I just found a bad fuel pressure regulator- fuel press was too high.

aux air reg hardly matters, unless there are air leaks associated with it and its hoses.

there are no 'cold start components ' per se .. there's only the ecu holding the injectors open longer when it's cold.

keep digging ! it's in there ... I see pretty tired 1.9 distributors ... got the idle stabilizer connected ?

and too advanced timing ..I see that commonly too, and they can't idle steadily unless they have timing not too advanced, and idle switch is making contact.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Barb Ourada" <barbron@EXCEL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 3:03 PM Subject: Fuel mixture too rich?