Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 2010 01:44:24 -0400
From:         A J <flavanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      replace idle stabilizer or not??

I have an 85 1.9 "Jerome". Currently it is running and driving because I have simply bypassed the idle stabilizer and the O2 hole is non existent on this system( it was welded over) Now this goes down the road very nice and the idle is ok but set very high, about 1700 give or take because it will simple stall at idle if it is much lower. . It seriously sucks gas. The gas mileage would probably make a hummer driver upset. If I replaced the idle stabilizer with a new one and did nothing else but lowered my idle and let the new switch control it would that help with the mileage? It runs very rich and I dont know if the idle control would help with that. Because I am on a very very tight budget simply replacing the exhaust and other parts is not the way to go in my case. I would like to know what would be the most efficient and cost effective step for me to take here? The Bus Depot has the idle stabilizer for $35 I believe but I am not sure if replacing that will have a big effect on the gas mileage or the rich idle. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Scott in an earlier comment concerning a 1.9 running rich had a list of things that should be checked. Some of the stuff I could follow and understand but some was just out of my league. If the european models dont have an O2 sensor and run fine would not having one on mine make a difference in the performance or will the ecu simple "overlook" it and make adjustments to compensate? Other than the Bentely is there a step by step idiots guide for these 1.9s or vanagons in general? Something with photos so one knows where the part is and what it looks like. I do enjoy tinkering with the van but it is difficult when I have to hunt for illustrations just to be sure I am working with the right part and in the right location.

A J 85 Gl 1.9 "Jerome" 87 Gl 2.1