Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:46:01 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Last minute tips before engine re-install?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

The single thing you want to be sure is right is the clutch, since it means pull engine back out if that's not right.

so give extra attention there, every last little detail of the clutch mechanism .. disc, flywheel, pressure plate, TOB, TOB Guide Tube , cross shaft ..etc. etc.. lube everything that moves or pivots or slides. I use 'black slimey' moly graph grease for most of those pivot or slide points. I spray lube the cross shfaft until it rotates really nicely .. I use high quality synthetic bearing grease on the pilot bearing.

then ...important tactic here .. *as soon* as the engine is on the trans and bell housing, as soon as it's bolted up .. try the clutch ! I've seen people not do that, work 6 more hours connecting things back up, fire up the engine ...etc. , only to find out the clutch doesn't work and have to undo all that work. so if clutch is not right, you want to know as soon as possible.

so ....bolt up engine to bell housing, try clutch pedal. I almost always bleed some fresh brake fluid into the clutch hydrualic system .. should change that fluid once a year really, just takes a couple of minutes with your handy bleed bottle and a one person method.

then once you know that's right ... do the rest of the engine mounting and all that.

that's the main one I can think of, besides addressing things like rust or whatever that might be easier with engine out.

Scott turbovans

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:41 AM Subject: Last minute tips before engine re-install?