Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:16:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Westy Syncro running hot
Comments: To: Gregoire Blachon <g.blachon@GMAIL.COM>

fwiw ....... I'll have to say I don't especially agree with this. I have changed many entire waterboxer engines, including in syncro's .. and all I ever did to really bleed it was top up the pressure bottle every warm-up cool-down cycle for about 6 cycles.. like fill it, run it, keep feeding coolant as long as it will take it. have both heater vavles open at least some. get it all running and warmed up and temp needle reading in the middle. close the pressure bottle cap. wait two or three hours. there will be an air space at the top of the pressure bottle. fill that up. run the engine until full warm again ...( like on a short drive is fine too ) . next time it's stone cold in a hour or so, top of the air space in the coolant pressure bottle with coolant.

do that a few times, over a day or so .. there will hardly be any air in the radiator. if starting with a totally empty radiator , like a new one .. sure then 'maybe' more formal bleed-screw-out bleeding.

Heck, I even have two Kenedy bleed valves to go on the top of the radiator in place of the bleed screw, which is a real pain to deal with anyway .. one of these perfect bleeder valves is still new in the box. Of a dozen or so vanagons ( most of them for sale ) I have yet to bother to install one of these valves on a vanagon radiator ....that's how little I find myself messing with the rad bleed screw.

if it's cold, and there's an air space at the top of the pressure bottle, top it up. do that 5 times or so ...it's at least 98 % bled. I'll bet it's normal that there is a tiny air space at the top of the radiator anyway .

I also like to just see the van sit and idle and rad fan cycle off and on ....over and over for a while. when it does that steadily and consitently, and temp needle is right in the middle.. that's a very good overall cooling system test. Feel that hot air coming off the radiator ... you know it's all working like it should then.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregoire Blachon" <g.blachon@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:31 AM Subject: 87 Westy Syncro running hot