Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:38:10 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Last minute tips before engine re-install?
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

what I would have to add to that is .. make sure you have the 'right' pilot bearing, and it's nicely greased and smoothly turning.

on an inline four installation, it's usually not a problem. Just pop in a diesel vanagon pilot bearing with included rubber lip seal and grease the bearing.

I have seen ..........a waterboxer pilot bearing used in an inline four instillation, which has no seal to keep clutch dust out, installed on a tdi syncro no less. then clutch dust eats at the pilot bearing and it can be in pretty bad shape in a couple of years.

so yeah, make sure you have the pilot bearing in there, the right kind, and nicely greased.

and I have seen about 5 other things done wrong or overlooked on many vanagon clutch installations. I even consider it one of the more commonly not-done-perfectly by home mechanics jobs on vanagons.

like pressure plate locating dowels missing from the flywheel... I've seen that one a few times. I've seen LOTS of mis-steps on vanagon clutch jobs, including on clutch jobs done by professional shops. I see lots of detail mistakes on vanagon clutch installations. Do good careful work.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "mark drillock" <mdrillock@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:12 AM Subject: Re: Last minute tips before engine re-install?