Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:30:43 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: A minimal tool kit?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

if we're still talking about a minimal tool kit, I never carry a torque wrenches, or wrenches.

I mean ...like if you are going to be getting into something that really needs a torque wrench, like say replacing the head ... either that's going to in a shop with real tools and equipment, ..like 'any' car repair shop has a torque wrench or two, or .. if you do decide to do such a job in a campsite, which would be an extremely rare occurrence anyway .. then you can order an inexpensive torque wrench online with your iphone or whatever.

depending on skill and experience level, a person can do a LOT without a torque wrench. like almost everything.

what I do is think about what jobs I want to be able to handle myself on a trip .. things like basic engine work, dealing with a water pump ..that sort of thing- want tools for that.

working on brakes, shocks, wheel bearings ... you'd only carry stuff for those kinds of repairs on a major, major trip ...so normally you don't carry much for those things other than some basics ....nice ball peen hammer, a breaker bar maybe, a cheater bar maybe ...

you want to be able to deal with electrical issues..so a nice small kit there . test light , volt-ohm meter, some spare bulbs , some jumper wires, stuff like that. I *always* carry a Remote Starter Switch .. one of the extreme most useful tools for self-rescue and diagnosing things.

another thing one can do is start keeping 'vanagon tools' in a separate kit , separate from your general tool stash. then when you go on a trip , you just bring those, and not the other ones you never use on a vanagon.

mainly, just consider what you might work on on a trip ..like say R & Ring a starter ..bring tools for that. Tools for a clutch slave cylinder swap...bring those. tools for a whole clutch job .. probably don't bring those unless it's a major 6 months long journey.

etc. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 3:47 PM Subject: Re: A minimal tool kit?