Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Sep 2010 18:50:28 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A minimal tool kit?

A lot of good wisdom here. I agree with everything Al and Scott say here, pretty much.

Think about what you are actually going to do. I've put many miles on my vanagons and have done more than a few roadside repairs.

Given that you can do this work yourself, you're nuts if you don't carry:

The wrenches that do most everything, 10, 13, 17 and 19 mm, in socket and combination. Unless you drive a diesel and want to go after the belt tensioner, which is 15mm, this will cover most things you do on a vanagon. Add an 8mm combination if you have a diesel and a 7 mm combination if you want to adjust the heater cables.

David suggested cutting off a 6mm allen to reach the waterpump bolts. I suggest cutting a 13mm wrench in half to accomodate a slave cylinder change.

Spare belts are a must

I carry a set of ball end allen wrenches for 3/8 drive, that way you can get the AC compressor off if you have to and also change the CV joints if you have to.

Combination screwdriver.

A flashlight is the most important thing of all.

Rubber gloves.

3, 6, and 12 inch extensions for the 3/8th sockets

Rolled up camping foam mat for lying in the dirt.

12v tester

Pocket knife

Utility tape

Needle nose pliers

Slip joint pliers

stubby 3/4 ratchet

You can do every belt, water hose, and just about anything else with this set.

What you cannot do with this set:

Power steering lines, AC lines, major engine works. But I believe you can replace any component like alternator, belts, hoses etc.

This (except for the foam mat) fits in a plastic parts case the size of a book that you can buy at home depot.

Jim

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > if we're still talking about a minimal tool kit, > I never carry a torque wrenches, or wrenches. > > I mean ...like if you are going to be getting into something that really > needs a torque wrench, like say replacing the head ... > either that's going to in a shop with real tools and equipment, ..like 'any' > car repair shop has a torque wrench or two, or .. > if you do decide to do such a job in a campsite, which would be an extremely > rare occurrence anyway .. > then you can order an inexpensive torque wrench online with your iphone or > whatever. > > depending on skill and experience level, a person can do a LOT without a > torque wrench. > like almost everything. > > what I do is think about what jobs I want to be able to handle myself on a > trip .. > things like basic engine work, dealing with a water pump ..that sort of > thing- want tools for that. > > working on brakes, shocks, wheel bearings ... > you'd only carry stuff for those kinds of repairs on a major, major trip > ...so normally you don't carry much for those things other than some basics > ....nice ball peen hammer, a breaker bar maybe, a cheater bar maybe ... > > you want to be able to deal with electrical issues..so a nice small kit > there . test light , volt-ohm meter, some spare bulbs , some jumper wires, > stuff like that. > I *always* carry a Remote Starter Switch .. > one of the extreme most useful tools for self-rescue and diagnosing things. > > another thing one can do is start keeping 'vanagon tools' in a separate kit > , separate from your general tool stash. > then when you go on a trip , you just bring those, and not the other ones > you never use on a vanagon. > > mainly, just consider what you might work on on a trip ..like say R & Ring a > starter ..bring tools for that. > Tools for a clutch slave cylinder swap...bring those. > tools for a whole clutch job .. > probably don't bring those unless it's a major 6 months long journey. > > etc. > Scott > www.turbovans.com > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 3:47 PM > Subject: Re: A minimal tool kit? > > >> At 07:17 AM 9/8/2010  -0700, Jay lefstein wrote: >>> >>> David do you keep 2 torque wrench's in your van? >> >> No, only the big one, which is a click-type (with a ratchet) and >> 19-mm impact socket for the wheel nuts.  Works on smaller stuff as >> well with a half-to-3/8 adapter.  I use a beam-type to check its >> calibration, as click-type wrenches are notorious for being wrong >> (this Craftsman one has been right on, though, for over a >> decade).  At home I've got two smaller beam types that are more >> convenient for the small stuff.  The big one is actually easier to >> stow since the scale doesn't stick out on the sides. >> >> Side note -- on this Craftsman one at least, you have to keep it >> wound down to zero in between uses or it takes a set that takes a few >> hours to relax.  Never tested it, but that's what the manual said. >> >> Yours, >> David >