Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:45:15 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Last minute tips before engine re-install?

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > what I would have to add to that is .. > make sure you have the 'right' pilot bearing, and it's nicely greased and > smoothly turning. > > on an inline four installation, it's usually not a problem. Just pop in a > diesel vanagon pilot bearing with included rubber lip seal and grease the > bearing.

As per Scotts other post, if you add grease to the new PB, make sure it's the right stuff. (in hindsight, and with all due respect to Scott, I would not add grease to a new PB next time)

IIRC, I added Moly CV grease to my new DV PB. Uh, like, FAIL. <grin> Grease "spidered" out likely contaminating the new FW and clutch. All still works fine, but to my eye, FW surface looks burned in spots. Not sure if that's due to grease, or just too much clutch slipping (by me looking for free camping on FS roads. <grin>)

pic of spidered grease and DV type PB: http://tinyurl.com/2a24nwl

Another overlooked part is the oil slinger in the clutch housing. If it's loose, it can cause havoc down the road.

pic and info: http://tinyurl.com/3y9j45l

Not sure how well it can be checked with housing still attached to tranny, but more knowledgable minds will hopefully chime on on that. (had mine apart to swap input shafts)

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines