Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Sep 2010 01:32:27 +0000
From:         Richard DIXON <dickd@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: new series 48 Odyssey battery
Comments: To: colorworks@gci.net

Hey Troy Thanks for the heads up on your troubles with the Odyssey batteries - guess I was excited about this new 48 series they just released. I believe the 1200 batteries have a lower reserve unit than the 1220s but your point about product quality and service are to be heeded, especially at a price of $300. I will explore the golf cart batteries but I really don't want to sacrifice storage needed for these much larger batteries. My search continues.............. cheers, Richard

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:02:17 -0800 From: colorworks@gci.net Subject: new series 48 Odyssey battery To: dickd@SYMPATICO.CA CC: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

Like may of us, I have been looking for that perfect deep cycle battery that will fit in the tiny spot under our seat in our vanagons. Well I recently came across the Odyssey brand of batteries and they have introduced a new 48 series unit................

specs on the Odyssey PC1220 ( group 48 ) battery.

CCA 680, 70 amp @ 20hr rate, 135 reserve capacity, 11.89x6.88x7.48price about $300

I just wanted to add a few comments here about the odyssey batteries and perhaps save the unsuspecting a few dollars. Several years ago I was a happy new owner of an 89 Westy, and easily influenced by all the hype on Go Westy's site, and bought one of the odyssey batteries. (the 1200) The AH ratings were very optimistic, and even before installing my DC fridge, the battery did not have enough reserve capacity. These batteries also require a fairly high amperage to charge them properly, and the stock alternator can not do that, so unless you use a auxiliary battery charger on a regular basis, you're going to cause premature death to the battery. I have a Subaru conversion, which puts out more amps from the alternator than normal, but the battery still lost its reserve capacity very quickly. I got to the point where I got maybe 2 or 4 hours worth of reserve power. At several hundred dollars, I figured I would just get a new battery, but no. In fact, the warrantee sucks big time. I was given a prorated amount. I think I ended up with something like $20 and had to haul the battery over 300 miles away to a dealer to get that. Wanted to throw the damn thing, well, don't get me started.

So, I cannot say enough bad things about the Odyssey brand battery. Absolute garbage in my opinion. Go to Carl's site www.westyventures.com and follow the links to the golf cart batteries. Put yourself four of those behind the seat, (88AH) and add a few extra if you like behind the rear seat for some real reserve capacity. They are true deep cycle batteries. I'd also like to add that a number of people were putting standard car batteries behind the driver's seat, knowing that they are not designed for deep discharge and taking advantage of the warrantee. After only one year, my car battery no longer has the reserve capacity it did. So, if I had this to do over, I would simply buy the golf cart batteries. I currently have 2 of those in the rear, and then a car battery upfront. I have 2 years left on the warrantee, but think I will scrap the car battery anyway, as they are kind of a PITA to get in and out. Stay clear of the Odyssey!!!! The best thing about odyssey batteries is their advertising! Search the archive if in doubt. Troy