Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Sep 2010 03:06:05 -0600
From:         miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Locking Gas Cap
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Well, I do see a need to have it be the same key as the ignition key.....that's how it came. Miguel

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.   - Thomas A. Edison

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > fwiw, > my vans that have a key for the locking gas cap use a different shorter key > than the ignition key. > I don't see a need really to have it be the very same key .. > I keep the cap key on the same key ring as the ignition key .. > they're both in the same place ...seems to work just fine. > > you can't drive off without the gas cap that way .. > the key stays with the cap ( unless you lock it to remove the key  ) so . > no gas cap back on,means no ignition key to  drive with. > > on the other hand.. > in Oregon you have to let them pump the fuel, and I ..like you say..if you > let someone else use it, they'll mess it up sometimes, so I only get out and > unlock the gas cap for them myself. > on my one van with a non-locking cap, I can just tell them how much to put > in. > and ....usually they can get the cap back on right. That's convenient not > having to unlock it for the pump jockey. > > for sure ..it is almost impossible to lend a car, especially a nice older > van with personality and quirks, > and get it back exactly like it was when  you loaned it. > > having the cap key on your key ring for that vehicle is all you really need. > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "miguel pacheco" <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:29 PM > Subject: Re: Locking Gas Cap > > > Oops, forgot to mention it is for an 88 Westfalia.....sorry Scott! > BTW, the key has not been lost, the cap has been lost (so no > screwdriver needed.) Note to self, never lend out Vanagon again! > Funny, this was the same conclusion I came to the last time I lent one > out! > Thanks Bob. I've found plenty that come with keys, but I'm looking for > the OEM one that can be keyed for the ignition key (yes, I'm making > the assumption here, that these that come with keys and are plentiful, > cannot be matched to the ignition key.....so this could be throwing me > off.) > Thanks Ben, I'll check to see if Steve stocks them. > Sure love the attention...thanks! > > Miguel > > I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. > - Thomas A. Edison > > > > On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Archive search gets: >> >> <http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S2=vanagon&L=vanagon&q=Gas+Cap&s=Gas+Cap&f=&a=May+2010&b=30+August+2010> >> Notice mention of Van Cafe. What Ben's mention makes me think of is if >> Steve >> has said he also can provide gas caps? >> bob >> >> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:37 PM, miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@gmail.com> >> wrote: >>> >>> But wait, I'm looking for a cap, not a locksmith...... >>> Miguel >>> >>> I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. >>> - Thomas A. Edison >>> >>> >>> >>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote: >>> > Try Steve's Lock Shoppe. He's a listmember: >>> > >>> > http://www.steveslockshop.com/ >>> >> >> > >