Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 2010 00:43:26 EDT
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      New head of VW of America - a chance to let him know what we
              think(my thoughts)
Comments: To: scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM

Well said Scott. If the name is still Volkswagen, the "peoples car"-literally then maybe it's time to start looking to and listening to "the people" if VW is to ever regain the import market share that it once had in this country. The VW was born out of economic necessity in an financially troubled Germany in the 30's. This car became so many things to so many people based on a real need and market niche. Enter the VW van and after a few re-incarnations here we are (mandatory Vanagon content). What is lacking is the vision that Ferdinand Porsche and his successors had back in the "heyday". Is there a need for niche vehicles? Probably now more than ever. Does the technology and consumer interest exist concurrently to mass produce the perfect VW bus/Van? I think so. Maybe now more than ever. People still want to get away and keep is simple, compact, discreet and purely functional; or at least the people I know and talk to. Everything does not need to be a reincarnation or "retro" to sell in mass. Just produce something utilitarian, basic, affordable and uniquely different but pleasing in appearance. Doesn't this all seem fairly basic? The way that Dr. Porsche recognized a need (market niche) so many years ago? The new leader of the American market should go retro in one respect. Go back to the name, The People's Car. Build the people what they want and what they need and make it more attractive to them in every way that a consumer might compare it to any competing automobile. Keep it simple Mr. Browning but keep it smart. Do what Dr. Porsche and his immediate contemporaries did and we're right here with you. I would love to park the 2012 New Westfalia right next to my 1990 Westfalia, but only if it is due such respect.

David Clarkson 1990 Westfalia