Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:33:41 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      A Great Trip, and Engine Noise Question

Hi all.

Had a great 4K+ km trip. Bus ran great. Saw lots more stuff courtesy of Bernie and Phil. Highlights include Challis Hot Springs, Catherine Creek and Kleinschmidt road (dirt, steep, single track with pull outs) pic http://tinyurl.com/25t8ud7 led by the fearless leader Dr. Phil Z himself! pic: http://tinyurl.com/23y9gyu

Over all, I gave my Westy a bit more of a work out than normal. So...

My engine developed a *slight* dull clacking noise at/near block or pan.

Possible causes/symptoms:

- Saw residue of a *very* slight loss of coolant from vent of expansion tank. (cap appeared to have allowed excess pressure to escape) Coolant gauge stayed slightly higher than normal but light did not come on. pic http://tinyurl.com/2fu66dm Normally needle at LED. Noticed coolant spill after the Klienschmidt portion. Regardless, engine ran hotter than normal for a period of time. - Though not hard, I hit my engine carrier upon leaving camp near end of trip. Carrier still properly aligned and oil pan not dented. - running 10/30 oil. Ambient temps hovered between 88-92F or so during the day - hunts for idle when restarted in high ambient temps. Settles soon. But engine has done this since "day one" of conversion.

At idle, sound was intermittent: "putt putt putt putt putt, clack, putt putt" etc., But at times, sounded like it happened on each cylinder at idle. It didn't seem to get worse. On last leg of trip on I5 trek in cooler ambient temps, didn't hear it at various pit stops, and when home in the driveway.

This is a Jetta ABA engine in my '81 Westy. Engine now has about 75K miles. Coolant pump has low miles (15K miles or so) so I suspect it's fine. I do not know if it has a windage tray or oil squirters. Runs fine other than hunt at hunt for idle.

Since the noise sometimes seemed to happen on each cylinder (at idle) would this be something to do with crank end play? No visual movement at pulley on crank. Or....

Is this a tell tale sound of a failing con rod bearing?

Please forgive such basic questions. I've had very little time inside an engine.

Still. A great trip was had! Saw more than usual, and even attempted some "bass" guitar along with Matt Snook et al. They were more than forgiving of my lack of skill and poor posture. (courtesy of Gary Marrs) pic: http://tinyurl.com/375jgok

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines