Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:50:01 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      actual numerical readings off Compression test?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Here's one..

how does a fellow or a gal determine the compression ratio of a motor? I've been thinking to take a reading with my compression tester, then divide that by the barometric pressure. Is that correct? And what kind of PSI are people commonly getting from compression tests on various motors? Does anyone have any actual numbers scrawled in the back pages of their Bently books?

This is in aid of trying to determine the CR of my "new" inline four 'Franken-mouse' motor..with 1.8liter head on top of a 2.0 liter block and a pretty stout headgasket from a specialty tuning shop.. I am not so sure I will hear it if it is detonating, way back there and with my magnaflow exhaust system kinda buzzy. If my ECU gets "knocking" signals from the sensor and adjusts the spark back always, I will probably need more octane. If I know the number I can decide without really guessing too much.

Don Hanson