Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:07:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 manual 4 speed linkage question
Comments: To: Doug <shirewood@WILDBLUE.NET>

one thing to check for sure .. the bracket fits on either side of the part of the trans it bolts to. only one position is correct.. the more forward one I think.

when everything is right and at least half decent, the only problem having the bracket on the wrong side is the shift lever won't move far enough aft ...making 2nd and 4th hard or impossible to get.

if it's oddly vague in ways beyond that, I wonder if you have worn out parts here and there . The whole shift linkage needs fairly frequent lubrication on every part that moves ,on the entire linkage. Often they don't get that lubrication, and then things wear.

Scott turbovans

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug" <shirewood@WILDBLUE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:40 PM Subject: 1.9 manual 4 speed linkage question

Disconnected the shift linkage at the transmission by removing the two bolts from the bracket and pulling the socket off the ball. Reconnected but can't seem to get the adjustment right. I can enter reverse without depressing the shifter. Shifting to second is a new adventure every time. Sometimes it just won't go. I've moved the bracket in every possible direction, or so it seems. What am I not doing right here? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Doug E. '84 Van-Go '67 vw convertible Vert-i-go